Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing rear brakes on my '03 Tundra. Does anyone know the correct tool to use to get that return spring on and off...especially on. That's one tight spring!:ballchain:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have used the standard drum tools in the past, but they did work on the Tundra in putting them back on. I had to use locking pliers to get them back on. Locked them near the hook and pulled them while prying with a long screwdriver.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently did the rear brakes on mine and used a pair of Vise-Grips, sweat, grunt and a prayer. Tough springs...out to work well.

·
Uhhh.. what?
63 Posts
Vise-grips here too. Didn't really notice that the spring was stronger/tougher to r&r than any another vehicle drum brake spring. :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Vise-Grips and beer. My old faithful drum-brake tool was rendered worthless by the Tundra shoe design, not enough room to hook it into place.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
When we rebuilt/replaced the rear end that we destroyed on my truck my buddy had this really cool looking tool specifically designed for the springs.

We resorted to vice grips, a screwdriver, and pliers accompanied by a lot of squealing and cursing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts