Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear cargo lamp default is driving me bonkers :beatsme:. It seems that Toyota defaulted the rear cargo lamp in the 06 DC to turn on every time any one of the doors are open. As you may know, it'll stay on until the cargo lamp button is pressed. I discovered that it did not matter what setting the interior lights are set at (door, on, off), the cargo light ALWAYS comes on and stays on.

Aside from re-wiring the lamps, is there a way to default the cargo lamp in the off position, having it only come on when the button is pressed?

Lots of Mahalo in advance!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
why is it a big deal? most all trucks cargo lights come on with interior lights....dont see the problem

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Do you driver around Hawaii with your door(s) open or something....or you doing some picking at night that you dont want anyone to see. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why is it a big deal? most all trucks cargo lights come on with interior lights....dont see the problem
No, it's not a big deal - I just noticed that this was happening as I was packing up for a camping trip.

The logic of tying the cargo light into the door switch is baffling me. My standard procedure for entering or exiting a car (or in this case, a Tundra) does not include looking or going into the bed of the truck :D. Why then, would illuminating the cargo box be necessary or beneficial? While it's true there will be instances where I'd exit the truck and jump into the bed (for a soda from the cooler, or to re-fasten or adjust the cargo back there), I could easily hit the button on the dash to turn it on, and it'd stay on for as long as I needed it.

The (not so) big deal is every time I open the door and don't want the light on, I gotta climb in to the truck to hit the button to turn it off. If I close the open door and open another one, I have to repeat the process....

Again, this will be something I can live with. I just thought I'd post on this board to inquire if Toyota had some sort of way to bypass or change the default setting to off.

Do you driver around Hawaii with your door(s) open or something....or you doing some picking at night that you dont want anyone to see. :eyebrows:
...as far as picking stuff at night... nah, I grow anthuriums and orchids, it's all legit and I do my "harvesting" during the day. :D

p.s.
Tundra Solutions has the most comprehensive list of smilies in the whole wide world! :sumo:

·
Registered
47 Posts
On my 06 the lights are on a timer and go off after around 30 seconds. Also, if you lock your doors with the automatic door lock (the one on the door not the fob) when you exit the vehicle it will go off as soon as you close the door.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
the cargo light works great for giving off a little extra light to light up complete darkness when u walk up on your truck at night or exit your truck in the dark and need some light or want some light to see where u are going...kinda like GM and their approach lights...where the reverse lights and daytime running lights come on when u unlock and are walking up to it. makes total sense to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same concern. I just installed a FWC Hawk camper on my 06 Tundra and every time I open the front doors the lights go blasting into the front window of the camper. Doesn't make much sense.

I agree with OP, the best solution would be manual on, not requiring manual off! I don't always want the lights shining out the back of my vehicle advertising where I am at, whether I'm camping, fishing, or just parking in a large parking lot in the city. It would so much better if the button worked to turn them on when you *want* them to be on.

Andy
2006 Tundra AC TRD, Ride-Rite Air Bags
2008 FWC Hawk camper

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
You should be able to do this by disconnecting the wire that goes from the combination meter to the switch. There's two red/black wires. You'll have to remove the center console and look at the wires to the switch. Disconnect one and see if it works. If not try the other one. Doing this should give complete control of the cargo lamp.

FYI - this is for the 00-03 tundra models. I do not know if this is the same for the 04-06 but, worth a shot. I've attached a wiring diagram for the 00-03 models. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is all well and good if we're talking about the cargo light coming on in your driveway or in the supermarket parking lot, but some of us use our trucks. What if I'm spending a long weekend camping in one spot out in the mountains, and EVERY FREAKING TIME one of my friends or I get something out of the cab, the cargo light turns on for another 30 seconds. This can cause a SERIOUS PROBLEM. The first time I camped in my Tundra, I happened to have a friend there with a Jeep to jump-start me, which was important because my battery was dead. After that first camping trip, I pulled the bulb out and left it out.

Toyota really blew it with this cargo lamp programming, and many other seemingly small details, IMO.

·
Registered
429 Posts
This is all well and good if we're talking about the cargo light coming on in your driveway or in the supermarket parking lot, but some of us use our trucks.

Couldn't agree more. Toyota really made this feature city-boy-friendly...:afro:...I just took out the fuse under the dash.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is all well and good if we're talking about the cargo light coming on in your driveway or in the supermarket parking lot, but some of us use our trucks. What if I'm spending a long weekend camping in one spot out in the mountains, and EVERY FREAKING TIME one of my friends or I get something out of the cab, the cargo light turns on for another 30 seconds. This can cause a SERIOUS PROBLEM. The first time I camped in my Tundra, I happened to have a friend there with a Jeep to jump-start me, which was important because my battery was dead. After that first camping trip, I pulled the bulb out and left it out.

Toyota really blew it with this cargo lamp programming, and many other seemingly small details, IMO.
This....
X2 This exact thought was going through my mind while driving down to the beach for some camping time. I carry one of those portable jump starters with me, but I recently discovered, there is no where to put it besides on the back seat floor mat (but storage room is another issue separate from this :D).

Dyogim - thanks for the diagram. Not real electronically inclined, but I'll take a peak behind the console to see what I can see. If I'm reading your post right, disconnecting one of the wires will give me on/off capability via switch, but disable the door-on feature?

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Dyogim - thanks for the diagram. Not real electronically inclined, but I'll take a peak behind the console to see what I can see. If I'm reading your post right, disconnecting one of the wires will give me on/off capability via switch, but disable the door-on feature?
That's correct. One of the wires should disable the the switch from turning on when the door opens but, still work when you press the switch.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulled this off of NCTTORA's FSM site. It appears that my 06 DC wiring is a bit different. I must admit, I am illiterate at reading these diagrams so I have no idea what I'm looking at :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Pulled this off of NCTTORA's FSM site. It appears that my 06 DC wiring is a bit different. I must admit, I am illiterate at reading these diagrams so I have no idea what I'm looking at :rolleyes:
In this case, you want to look for the black/white wire and disconnect the one coming from the Body ECU. The one coming from the Cargo Light SW should give you full control.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Had the same situation with my '03. Here's what I did: Went Advance Auto and picked up a toggle switch and an in-line fuse. Pulled the factory fuse from the fusebox and broke it in half. Soldered one lug from the broken fuse onto a short length of wire & soldered the other lug to a different lenght of wire. Hot side runs from hot side of fuse box to the in-line fuse and on to the toggle switch. Ground side runs from the toggle to the ground side of the fuse box. Toggle "ON" you get standard factory function. Toggle "OFF" the circuit is dead as a doornail.

The in-line fuse fits nicely up inside the fuse box, out of sight. I drilled an unobtrusive hole in the dash for the toggle with its wires out of sight behind the dash. Been working perfectly for about six years or so.

The cargo light seem brighter than the fog lights!

·
Registered
59 Posts
DYOGIM: I noted on your diagram that the cargo light and the high mounted rear stop light are one and the same...if you disconnect, it may delete the rear stop light as well ????

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi hang in there. i am sure there is someone here that will tell you what ever you need about this diagram. i never knew all this stuff. i have always kept my inside dome lights off. until i or anyone needed them. i never had a issue with my 3rd brake light on white staying on, unless 1 door was not closed correctly. & my alarm would tell me, by the beep's. Gorilla gl with the help on this diagram you posted. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts