Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called my Toyota dealer today to ask about the cost of a rear diff fluid change on my 2006 Tundra D/C, 4.7 SR5.

They called back and left a message stating $ 79.99 for a normal change........but if it is a limited slip it would be $ 279.99.

I replayed the call a few times...........NO MISTAKE $ 279.99 !

They were closed when I checked my messages............AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE ???

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
At that price, they should be giving you a different kind of lube all together. That's just plain rape.
If you do it yourself, it's super easy, and wont' cost more than $80. I grabbed 5 qts of mobile 1 synthetic for about $16 each, only needed 4. had it done in about 20 minutes. If you need the LSD additive, you can get that stuff for a lot cheaper than what Toyota is quoting you. Even figuring 1hour labor @ $95, and the cost of fluids, there's just something missing in the equation.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Very easy to do yourself.

Tundra Fuel Economy: Changing the Rear Differential Fluid

If you do not feel confident doing it yourself there are sure to be members close to you in your area that will stop in and walk you through it (teach a man to fish and all that).

How about it Deland Florida members? Somebody up to helping the Rookie learn some skills?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do it yourself. Very easy like changing oil. Cost me 3 qts of Royal Purple @ $16.99 a piece.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. I do not need any help it is just two bolts (drain and fill). I called two other Toyota dealers in my area who both advised with the LSD additive the cost would be $ 89.95!

I re-contacted my dealer (after leaving numerous .......numerous phone messages. I was again quoted the same outrages amount. They advise that the truck needs Toyotas "special synthetic gear oil with LSD additive"......and the cost is $ 65.00 a quart!

My local auto parts store has both Mobile 1 and royal purple at under $ 20.00 a quart......the LSD additive is $ 5.00.

I have an appoint with the service manager in the A.M......................I JUST HAVE TO KNOW WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT THAT GEAR OIL !!!!

Anyone have experience with this special synthetic rear diff oil ???? Cost of a change ??

I just have a bad feeling that some toyota customers who do not ask questions are getting "LUBED" themselves !!

**Until this incident I have had NO problems with my dealer at all !!

·
Uhhh.. what?
63 Posts
Wow!

No clue about the "special" toyota synthetic oil, I've just used dino or mobil 1 + lsd additive on my '03.

But I would tell them that for that price they better include a baggie of whatever they're smoking cuz it must be some good stuff! :rolleyes:

Will :clown:

·
Registered
137 Posts
My dealer told me the synthetic oil was outrageously priced so , unless the customer asks for it specifically they use Amsoil synthetic everywhere.

·
Registered
374 Posts
..........cost me 75$ at toyota of fort worth and i have a lsd.
although fyi, every dealer does not use the same fluids and chemicals. most are independantly owned to my knowledge and contract with different distributers. a friend of mine is a rep for BG and he listed the three dealers in the area and exactly what they use...all defferent.

·
Registered
127 Posts
take it to an instant oil change place...make sure they have toy additive first and use syn gear oil. I did the front too but it's not limited slip of course.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading posts here and on other sites about problems... noise, grinding, lock up etc.....after having changing the rear oil on units with LSD............I took it to a dealer (NOT MINE). They quoted me $ 89.00 w/ LSD additive.

I'm at 39,700 miles and went ahead and got the 40,000 mile service! After hearing about my story they knocked off an additional 10%...I already had Toyota coupons.

A check of the receipt shows they used Valvoline gear oil and Toyota LSD additive!

Yea......I paid $ 150 bucks......but everything is done.......I'm ready to pull out Thursday with our trailer for our third camping trip of the year ......for a LONG weekend of biking, snorkeling, beer......etc, etc, etc !!

Any problems with the LSD rear end............It's on Toyota !!

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
40k service. So... engine oil and filter change, diff oil change, and of course the inspections. Not too bad though to have responsibility on Toyota and keeping from crawling under the truck. Just glance under there in a week or two for any oil drops.

The chatter etc. can be caused by not adding enough friction modifier (LSD additive)... then you just add a little more. Some don't even need to add it even with LSD.

The dealership I took mine to wanted $225.00 for front and rear diff oil change... in addition to the $545.00 for the 60k service :lol: So, I went with all Amsoil fluids, did a tranny flush, saved some money and got intimate with the machine. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm confused about the LSD additive.
Why are some of you using it? Did you not put in LSD Gear Oil when you changed it?

I know Valvoline, Royal Purple, Mobil One has specific LSD Gear oil.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I'm confused about the LSD additive.
Why are some of you using it? Did you not put in LSD Gear Oil when you changed it?

I know Valvoline, Royal Purple, Mobil One has specific LSD Gear oil.
As I stated previously... some don't need to add that additive and some do. I am not sure of the technical reason... I am guessing from how much wear is present.

When I was researching, before I changed my LSD oil, I read where some had chatter after changing the oil and they used one of the above mentioned oils. They still needed to add some friction modifier and that solved the problem. When I changed fluid I added some. I used the Amsoil gear oil and their additive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As I stated previously... some don't need to add that additive and some do. I am not sure of the technical reason... I am guessing from how much wear is present.

When I was researching, before I changed my LSD oil, I read where some had chatter after changing the oil and they used one of the above mentioned oils. They still needed to add some friction modifier and that solved the problem. When I changed fluid I added some. I used the Amsoil gear oil and their additive.
Gotcha. Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
steeljag im also in deland and also was quoted like 200 bucks! i really need to get this done..well really i need to do the front and rear diffs, tranfer case and debating on tranny flush cause i have 120k miles and dont think its been done before and not sure if thats a good idea. Where did you end up getting it done? daytona toyota?? what did deland say about their high prices? let me know here or pm me... what color is you tundra dna what body style?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am getting ready to change the oil in the differential on my 2005 Tundra with limited-slip. The first road block came when I discovered that it is next to impossible to find synthetic gear oil in 90W as specified in my owner's manual. One store had a Mobil 1 phone number to call and was told the LS 75W90 was the correct lube for the Tundra application but I have doubts. Is it possible to have too much slip?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts