Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I want to put a rear locker in my truck, recently I was told to see if I can get my hands on a TRD Locker/3rd member out of a Tacoma. I was wondering if anyone here has done this, has any experience with it, or knows if it will work in terms of matching up gearing and all that stuff. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Also, I'm in CO, so if anyone knows of a place to get the parts in Denver or Colorado Springs that would also be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance! :D

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
The elocker from a taco will not fit the tundra (1gen) rear housing. However, with some modifications you can. It's a lot of work and not really worth downsizing the ring and pinion.

If you are looking for selectable locker, the only option is the ARB Air Locker. Otherwise, you have a choice of either Detroit Locker, Detroit Trutrac, TRD LSD. These replace the carrier.

Othe options are: Powertrax no-slip, Lock Right, Detroit EZ-Locker. There's a couple of other "lunchbox"lockers. All lunchbox lockers replace the spider gears within the stock carrier. This is cheaper in cost and is less labor intensive. If you have an LSD, the lunchbox locker cannot replace the internal gears of the LSD. You'll need to get your hands on a stock "open" carrier. Preferrably with the stock spider gears installed.

I can go into details for both installs as I've done both. I started with a stock open carrier, then installed a lockright. Grenaded that and installed a Detroit Locker. I did all the labor. I'm not a pro by any means, I just have a little bit of experience to provide some input.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts