Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i want to switch my truck over to systheic fluids. I have a tacoma perunner with about 15,000 miles. It is not 4x4 and as far as i know it does not have LSD. I called and ask my dealer how to tell if i do have LSD but they really couldn't anwser me. I want to add Royle puprle 75-90 to it but it RP saids it has fiction mods in it. If i don't have LSD can i still add that oil or do i have to find one with out the addtives in it?

Also they said to use the same stuff for my trans. Is it ok to put the 75-90 in there with the LSD addtives. I think Royle puprle puts LSD addtivese in all thier 75-90 gear oil.

If anyone can help please let me know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I called and ask my dealer how to tell if i do have LSD but they really couldn't anwser me.
Lift both rear tires off the ground and spin one. If the opposite one spins in the same direction then it's LSD.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If it is a V6 I would be willing to bet it has the LSD. Do you have the Tow package and the Aluminum wheels? I think the LSD is usually linked with those options... at least in Northern California it is.

·
Registered
447 Posts
if its a prerunner, its more than likely got a rear locker, and you dont have to have friction modifiers in it(only in lsd),but it wont hurt if its already got friction modifiers in it! and 75w90 will work just fine ofr the diffs, probably for the tranny also, unless its an auto, then you can only use what toyota has which is a ws(world standard) type fluid! (im speaking of 05+ tacomas)

·
Registered
520 Posts
The LSD's have a sticker on them that says to use LSD oil only.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So...with the auto tranny do I need to change the oil at 30k? I'm planning on doing my front and rear differentials in the next couple weeks...

any thoughts on oil?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't tow, have a locker, or LSD rear axle and Manual trans.

I cant find the info in the passport for when to change a open rear when you dont meet the special requirements.

Nor can I find xfer info or trans info for the 05 tacoma.

Edit.

6 speed manual trans, 4x4, SR5 group 2005 double cab. nothing special just your std open diff 4x4.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you don't have 4WD, you don't have an xfer case. Most open diffs have no stated mileage for service, if switching to syn use 75-90. No additional friction modifiers needed. The 5spd automatics use a unique fluid, go by Toyota's service intervals.

EDIT: explain better what drivetrain you have; 2wd, 4wd, automatic or 6 speed manual..

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you don't have 4WD, you don't have an xfer case. Most open diffs have no stated mileage for service, if switching to syn use 75-90. No additional friction moderfiers needed. The 5spd automatics use a unique fluid, go by Toyota's service intervals.

EDIT: explain better what drivetrain you have; 2wd, 4wd, automatic or 6 speed manual..
sig says i have 4x4...however, it is an auto...ill check the book on that...any suggestions on dif fluid and xfer case and all that stuff?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I just changed my rear end fluid, used Royal Purple 75w-90 (its actually like75w-110) synthetic $10 a qt it took 3.7 qt, the recommended interval is 30k I think it could go way longer, it was easy. BTW RP has the LSD additive already in it.

Someone said anything from 2003 up came with synthetic in the rear diff, Tundras and Tacoma's use the same rear diff.

Today I found castrol synthetic 75w-90 marine gear lube GL5 rated in the discount rack for $4 a qt, I could have saved :cry:

·
Registered
150 Posts
The LSD additive will not hurt anything if you don't have an LSD. However, not using an additive in an LSD will make it nice and grabby, almost like a locker, for a little while, then like an open diff after the clutches are toasted.

Just don't put the LSD additive in your manual trans, unless you enjoy clutch slippage.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
anestech*;. Just don't put the LSD additive in your manual trans said:
You are thinking about a motorcycle, or something else that have multiplate "wet" clutches.
But, no friction modifier in Toyota's manual trans, too much friction modifier can affect the syncros ability to function properly. Toyota calls for GL5 in the rear, but GL4 or GL5 in trans. Years ago all the Aisin manuals specified GL4 only, no dual GL4, GL5 classification due to much better syncro behaviour. Years ago when Jeep was using the Aisin trans, they specified GL4 only and those who used it found much better shifting with it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You are thinking about a motorcycle, or something else that have multiplate "wet" clutches.
Yes, I was. And I was also thinging about in a torque converter in an auto. And somehow I combined those into a manual car/truck trans. ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yes you can, All GL5 spec lube has some friction modifier, not added just for clutch pack type locking diffs, but because most extreme pressure aditives required to make the lube meet GL5 specs are also friction modifiers. Another thing, if a vehicle has a clutch type locking diff the amount of friction modifier in the lube may not be enough, usually a little more is needed to prevent chatter/binding. Put the RP 75-90 in both, if your PreRunner by chance has the non electric, clutch type diff, a little more F/M might be needed. Too little and the diff chatters/binds/pops etc, too much and the clutch packs will slip excessively performing like an open diff. If it is an open diff, the addition of F/M will not harm anything, nor help. Do not add to trans, as F/M affects syncro's ability to function.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts