Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently had some minor clicking noises start coming from the rear end of my truck. Figured it was either the transfer case or rear diff, so I went ahead and changed the fluid in both. With only 48,000 miles on the truck, it seemed like a little early, but after the change I'm glad I did it.

The transfer case fluid seemed fine, still a clear light brown color, but the rear differential fluid looked like mud coming out and had enough metal shavings to make myself a new wire brush...

Anyways, with only 48,000 miles on the truck, and only doing some minor towing, I'd recommend that everyone give their rear differential fluid a look if you haven't yet. I was really shocked at how bad it was, and figured this post might help save some people from tearing up their rear end due to bad fluid.

I used royal purple 75w90 gear oil in both the transfer and rear (I have an LSD rear end, or else it calls for 75w140 i believe). The new oil solved my clicking problem, but I'm afraid enough damage might have already been done by the crap fluid.

Anyways, give yours a check if you havent done so yet, just might save your rear end.

·
7,925 Posts
Hey guys,

I recently had some minor clicking noises start coming from the rear end of my truck. Figured it was either the transfer case or rear diff, so I went ahead and changed the fluid in both. With only 48,000 miles on the truck, it seemed like a little early, but after the change I'm glad I did it.

The transfer case fluid seemed fine, still a clear light brown color, but the rear differential fluid looked like mud coming out and had enough metal shavings to make myself a new wire brush...

Anyways, with only 48,000 miles on the truck, and only doing some minor towing, I'd recommend that everyone give their rear differential fluid a look if you haven't yet. I was really shocked at how bad it was, and figured this post might help save some people from tearing up their rear end due to bad fluid.

I used royal purple 75w90 gear oil in both the transfer and rear (I have an LSD rear end, or else it calls for 75w140 i believe). The new oil solved my clicking problem, but I'm afraid enough damage might have already been done by the crap fluid.

Anyways, give yours a check if you havent done so yet, just might save your rear end.
mine got changed at 100k and looked clean. MUD???

Like this? Make sure your differential breather is intact. If not do the differential breather modification - well worth the $15. Mine blew two seals right after changing the fluid and another a few months later until I did the breather modification. I managed to destroy a $4,400 rear end in the process of replacing a $7 seal. No problems over the last 20,000+ miles since I did the modification.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like this? Make sure your differential breather is intact. If not do the differential breather modification - well worth the $15. Mine blew two seals right after changing the fluid and another a few months later until I did the breather modification. I managed to destroy a $4,400 rear end in the process of replacing a $7 seal. No problems over the last 20,000+ miles since I did the modification.
Attached Thumbnails

Mine looked a lot like that but much darker. It was so thick I couldn't believe it. I almost wonder if someone put the wrong fluid in it before I bought the truck, I bought it with around 2000 miles on it from a dealership (the owner had been driving it himself). Before they gave it to me, they said they put all new fluids in it except for the radiator and brake fluid before they let me drive it off.

I've heard of this breather mod before but never really looked into it, do you think you could give me some more info or a link for it highwaylizard?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The rear Diff comes from factory with Dino gear oil and it's much darker and a heavier fluid than the transfer case and front end fluids plus it's got friction modifiers in it! It is recommended by Toyota to change these fluids every 30K miles and this need to be done to fulfill drive train warranty! The 06 Tundra if you look in your owners manual says SAE 90 Dino oil but if you go Synthetic everyone just use 75W-90. The plain diff uses 75W-140 Synthetic

·
7,925 Posts
The rear Diff comes from factory with Dino gear oil and it's much darker and a heavier fluid than the transfer case and front end fluids plus it's got friction modifiers in it! It is recommended by Toyota to change these fluids every 30K miles and this need to be done to fulfill drive train warranty! The 06 Tundra if you look in your owners manual says SAE 90 Dino oil but if you go Synthetic everyone just use 75W-90. The plain diff uses 75W-140 Synthetic
Hey Hogwild!

Great points but I would add that if you tow you should change out those fluids every 15,000 miles.

Attached Thumbnails

Mine looked a lot like that but much darker. It was so thick I couldn't believe it. I almost wonder if someone put the wrong fluid in it before I bought the truck, I bought it with around 2000 miles on it from a dealership (the owner had been driving it himself). Before they gave it to me, they said they put all new fluids in it except for the radiator and brake fluid before they let me drive it off.

I've heard of this breather mod before but never really looked into it, do you think you could give me some more info or a link for it highwaylizard?
Here are some pictures for you. I got all the parts at Advance Auto but you can get them O'Reilly, Auto Zone, or NAPA too.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the pics lizard, looks easy to do. I'll have to head down to the hardware store and pick those parts up.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Check your diff. every other oil change or so. If the fluids clean it's clean. Any synthetic gear oil will easily go 100,000 miles unless it
gets contaminated. I changed all mine at 95,000 and in all three boxes the oil was still very clean and very little smell.

·
7,925 Posts
Thanks a lot for the pics lizard, looks easy to do. I'll have to head down to the hardware store and pick those parts up.

You bet - no worries. Shoot me a PM if you have questions. You can always call me if you need a walk through. There is a thread around here somewhere that tells you the size brass fitting to get along with the length of tubing. I will look for it later tonight and PM you with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just did this today on my 06 non-LSD and the fluid looked really clean. I put in Mobil 1 75w140 synthetic. I called 3 dealers and got 3 different answers of what fluid to use. I finally just found it on the Toyota site and none of the 3 dealers were right... ha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 06 with a LSD. I am planning on changing out the rear diff fluid with synthetic 75-90 but don't I also need to add an LSD additive?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have an 06 with a LSD. I am planning on changing out the rear diff fluid with synthetic 75-90 but don't I also need to add an LSD additive?
I changed mine using Mobil 75-90 synthetic over a month ago and didn't use any LSD additive. I haven't had any problems, but some on here have.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
They have a version with the additive supposedly included. If it says "LS" on the bottle...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts