Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been through some heartache lately with my 04 DC.

The right rear differential vent became clogged causing fluid to leak all over the wheel bearing and brakes.

My mechanic replaced the vent, and the fluid ruined parts only to have it happen again about 1,000 miles later with the new vent. I'm not driving off road or on dirt roads. No idea why this would have happened twice like this. You can tell when it causes a rupture as there is a significant decrease in braking response and the brake pedal feels real soft.

Have you experienced this failure? What was causing it and what did you do to repair it.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
My vents corroded up and froze after a few trips to the ocean. I also took the opportunity to run them higher. I ran mine up behind the tailight housing. Threw away the stock vented breather and have been using a lawnmower fuel filter. It's been working fine for about 100,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Has the rear Diff been serviced just before this all started? If so it's highly possible it was over serviced which will start blowing fluid once the gear oil comes to temp!

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
I've been through some heartache lately with my 04 DC.

The right rear differential vent became clogged causing fluid to leak all over the wheel bearing and brakes.

My mechanic replaced the vent, and the fluid ruined parts only to have it happen again about 1,000 miles later with the new vent. I'm not driving off road or on dirt roads. No idea why this would have happened twice like this. You can tell when it causes a rupture as there is a significant decrease in braking response and the brake pedal feels real soft.

Have you experienced this failure? What was causing it and what did you do to repair it.
Welcome to my world. I cannot recommend the remote differential breather modification highly enough.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/173572-here-we-go-again/

Not an expert but can change out the seals in a few hours by myself. Very intimidating the first time - just disheartening anytime after the first time.

Has the rear Diff been serviced just before this all started? If so it's highly possible it was over serviced which will start blowing fluid once the gear oil comes to temp!
Hey HOGWILD!!!

I am not sure what you are referring to by "over servicing" but I think even if the differential is slightly overfilled that the breather modification will negate any ill effects.

One thing you have to be careful with is when you reinstall the axle that you take care not to let the axle rub on the seal as it goes back in otherwise it will tear the seal and you get to do it all over again.

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
Your brakes feel soft and less braking, mine has this too. Axle seals where leaking and fixed but soft brakes continue, I have no idea how to fix that, even after a full brake job the pedal went soft again a few weeks later?? Leaking seals yes, but if your seals aren't leaking I don't think one have to do with the other.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hey Toby:D what i am referring to is filling it above the inside opening and letting it drain out as you install the plug and gasket! That will not give the pumpkin enough room for foaming which almost all gear oil will do and some will do it worse than others depending on their formula? When it foams it will run up the vent and get on everything in that area just behind the vent and coat things nicely! With the breather mod this would probably not happen but i have had it happen on my front diff hoses which were extended from factory. Just thought those valves were one way valves only letting stuff escape when over pressurized since i know they are not supposed to let water leak in to the pumpkin, i have been wrong but not lately!!:p

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Hey Toby:D what i am referring to is filling it above the inside opening and letting it drain out as you install the plug and gasket! That will not give the pumpkin enough room for foaming which almost all gear oil will do and some will do it worse than others depending on their formula? When it foams it will run up the vent and get on everything in that area just behind the vent and coat things nicely! With the breather mod this would probably not happen but i have had it happen on my front diff hoses which were extended from factory. Just thought those valves were one way valves only letting stuff escape when over pressurized since i know they are not supposed to let water leak in to the pumpkin, i have been wrong but not lately!!:p
Hey HOGWILD!!

Thanks for the clarification and I agree with you. I noticed that after I refilled the front differential and I ran it in four wheel drive down the back creek road at my uncle's property for a couple of miles that there was a strong smell of gear oil from the front. Those front breather tubes could stand to be a little longer and could use a filter there too.

HOGWILD has been wrong!? NEVER:D

Drinks at Hogsbreath in Key West this winter?

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Sorry for bringing up an older thread, but where does one find the front differential breather? :confused:

I figure I'd extend both breathers before it gets too cold. If not, certainly in the spring.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Sorry for bringing up an older thread, but where does one find the front differential breather? :confused:

I figure I'd extend both breathers before it gets too cold. If not, certainly in the spring.

Open your hood. On the driver's side just between the oil dipstick and where the fuel supply line comes up from the frame you will see two hoses with plastic caps on them. In the attached picture they are the rust colored boogers to the right of the yellow handle on the dipstick tube and directly in front of the hose clamp.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Thanks Highwaylizard!

Gotcha. And thanks for the pic. Hmm. Those seem adequately high, don't you think? If I have water above that line, I'm probably experiencing bigger problems.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
How do you check to see if your breather is plugged or working?

Good question. If your seals blow then you know it is plugged. At that point it is too late and the revelation that the breather is plugged is quite worthless.

I did not have a differential breather on my truck. I did not even know what one was before I found out about it here on the Forum. It had been removed or ripped off before I bought the truck. The first warning that the breather was open was the first oil change for the rear differential - it looked like mud. At the time I could not figure out why it would be that way. In retrospect I realize that the hole for the breather was open and collecting dirt. Ultimately the breather hole clogged up and the resulting pressure blew the axle seals.

So, after my story, back to your question. First, see if you have a differential breather. If it is missing you need to act now to fix it. If it is there then unscrew it and try to blow air through it. They are designed to let air out as the gear oil heats up and heats the air in the differential which expands and pushes out. I would also check by removing the fill plug on the differential and find a rubber hose to put in the hole and blow air (with your lungs) into the differential while checking to see if air comes out the breather. You need to be sure that both the breather and the hole it screws into are unimpeded.

Hope this helps. Picture below is rear differential fluid at first change after I bought the truck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Need help finding a part number.
I want to do the rear diff mod and was going to use part #9093003136 plug,
same as on front diff,along with the new union, but then I noticed right next to the front breather plug is another line with a smaller breather plug. It also needs replacement. I think it's for the trans(not sure) It has a smaller barb fit that's about 1/8". Basically it's a little smaller version than part 9093003136. So what is this part number??? Please help, thanks.

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
Diff breather parts doc attached for ref. Maybe that'll help...

The thread size is M10x1.00. It's extremely hard to find a hose barb to fit that, unless you buy a Japanese one. Any of these will work.

Toyota Part#'s:
90404-51319, M10x1.00, 3/8" barb
90404-51026, M10x1.00, 1/4" barb

Nissan Part#:
38323-C6010, M10x1.00, 3/16" barb

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks but I don't see it in that doc list.
It looks just like the top left hand part (plug in hose type) it does not have a thread.
Just plugs in the hose, but it's smaller, maybe half as big as #90930-03136
Even part guys at two dealership can't find it.
Thinking I may just cap it with a lawnmower filter if I can find one small enough.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I thought I'd chime in on this as well since I recently had to replace the pinion bearing and both wheel bearings recently due to a clogged breather, costing me $1,400. I had my mechanic install the remote breather so that this never happens again. Regardless of whether or not your seals are leaking, check that the breather is working and do the mod! If your seals are already leaking, make sure you check the oil level in your diff until you can get it fixed, or you're gonna have the same costly experience I just had...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts