Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2WD 2002 Tundra 4.7L. Right now I have the passenger tire turning, any kits out there that can get those two rear tires spinning? Reliable stuff that won't break any time soon.:D

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Yeah, I think it's Kazumi that makes a limited slip differential. You can get an auto locker as well, but I would guess that until you also have forced induction or something that you'll be hard-pressed to spin both tires at the same time. I suppose you could always max the rear tire pressure, too...but anyway, Kazumi is probably what you're looking for.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, talk about limited slip, & that white sticker on the rear end.
well today i went under my tundra to look for rust. that god none.
HOLLY MOLLY i got 1!. a white sticker.
i didn't think i had 1. well i do. and i have a 4X2.
i'm happy.
didn't mean to hyjack the thread.
but i was shocked & amazed i have 1.
i must be blind in 5 years i never noticed it.LOL
gorilla

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Get it, you won't be sorry. I did.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
How hard is it to put it on?
The complete carrier replacement units are fairly involved. The install requires the installer to press on carrier/pinion bearings, check for depth, backlash, ring and pinion tooth pattern, pinion preload. Each needs some sort of special tool. With the ARB, the installer also needs to drill through the carrier housing to run the air line.

This is not a simple plug-n-play type of install. I've done a few gear installs and installed a Detroit Locker. The install is more involved than installing headers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
how about a spool? no air compressor or lines. just a little more tire wear than normal and better traction.

·
Registered
313 Posts
hope im not hijacking the thread, but i think it's related. my tundra is a 2000 so it doesn't have an LSD. to my knowledge, a truck equipped with a TRD package DOES have LSD, correct? is there any chance i could get a rear end or just a diff. out of a junked TRD tundra and put it in mine?? i can't imagine there are any severe differences in compatibility right?

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
hope im not hijacking the thread, but i think it's related. my tundra is a 2000 so it doesn't have an LSD. to my knowledge, a truck equipped with a TRD package DOES have LSD, correct? is there any chance i could get a rear end or just a diff. out of a junked TRD tundra and put it in mine?? i can't imagine there are any severe differences in compatibility right?
The things you'd have to worry about if you are using parts from another tundra, such as the complete axle is: gear ratio (only matters if you have 4WD and you need to match the same front gear ratio), ABS or Non-ABS. Othwerwise, the tunda rear axle is the same as the tacoma rear axles of the same year. Except the only difference is the tundra is wider and the tundra rear axle is not e-locker compatible.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I was considering doing that approach too and just finding another Tundra but there are not many places here in Tampa. I want to do the Kazuma but I'm kinda intimidated now. :-\

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Yeah I was considering doing that approach too and just finding another Tundra but there are not many places here in Tampa. I want to do the Kazuma but I'm kinda intimidated now. :-\
If you want better traction but also be street friendly, look at the kazuma or the Detroit Truetrac. Difference between the two is that the kazuma uses clutch packs and the Truetrac is gear driven. Clutch packs in time will wear down and you'll have to rebuild.

Side note, the "kazuma" and "TRD" lsd is made by Eaton. Difference between the two is clutch packs. I can't remember but one has a 200 lb load and the other is 400lb. Also note, Detroit was also bought out by Eaton.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Side note, the "kazuma" and "TRD" lsd is made by Eaton. Difference between the two is clutch packs. I can't remember but one has a 200 lb load and the other is 400lb. Also note, Detroit was also bought out by Eaton.
Quick description on the Eaton (TRD) LSD unit:

a. manufactured to Toyota specs for TRD by Eaton
b. these aftermarket units are pre-tensioned to 400 ft-lbs as opposed to the 200ft-lb pre-tension units the factory installed
c. this is a bolt in mod requiring little labor/cost to install
d. a limited slip unit is still very street friendly yet adds substantial traction over an open differential (400 ft-lbs to the wheel with best traction)

..my tundra is a 2000 so it doesn't have an LSD. to my knowledge, a truck equipped with a TRD package DOES have LSD, correct?
Not really. The 2000-2002 (mid year) did NOT have the LSD option, but, had the TRD package. You will need to check carefully if pulling from a junkyard. I upgraded to the
Eaton LSD unit for my 2000. Cost a little more, but, bought the 3RD member package (sale promo )from TRD Toyota and easier to install as a unit. You can just do the core swap as an option and save some money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts