Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I kindly got told that the forum I was on was for the 2nd generation Tundra's. I can only assume that this means if you don't own a 2007 Tundra , you don't belong here. So I will ask this question once more for the old truck owners.

Who makes a rear disc brake kit for a 2006 Tundra 2WD Access Cab for a reasonable price? Where can I find out what my gear ration is in the rear differential? I was told they were 3:77. That I find hard to believe.

Thanks

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
this has been discussed a lot, but not many have done it. i think it is a fairly big project.

do you have a specific reason for wanting to do this? if you are having braking troubles, my suggestion is first try to make sure you are getting the most out of your factory system. there are several things you can do to improve performance by adjusting things. this is the read you need if you want to go that route: Toyota Tundra Brake FAQ - Maintenance and Adjustment

i also have an idea that someone is going to try to put a 2007 rear axle under a first gen tundra. it would be a good way to get 4:30 gears, bigger ring and pinion, more weight capacity and disk brakes. don't know if the width is significantly different. and, then, there's the cost.... probably pretty hard to come by in salvage yard at present, but down the road, this may be a decent swap option.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think the common wisdom on this is that if you have your rear brakes adjusted properly, braking performance and reliability is more than adequate.

Sooooo....unless you're racing the truck, have the truck seriously modified for performance, consistently haul a LOT of weight in the bed of the truck, or something that would force the rear brakes to work a lot, it's not really "worth" the conversion.

BTW, the SOS kit requires that you either cut off the backing plates from the rear axle or that you remove the rear axles, which requires pressing off the ABS rings and then pressing on NEW ABS rings and other parts. Unlike other rear ends, the Tundra axles don't slide out and in without replacing quite a few parts. Go figure.

There is a big brake front kit available, too. At over $2K, it's not cheap.

Some have talked about swapping a Sequoia rear end (to get the rear discs) into the Tundra. Not a straight forward swap, but I'm sure it could be done with some other parts swapping and fabrication.

As for rear end ratios, your truck probably has a 3.91. I believe steeper ratios are available in the after-market. Putting in the bigger '07 rear end (e.g. 10" ring gear) would likely require either narrowing the axle tubes and shafts and/or relocating the spring perches. Before I went through all that trouble, I would just have Currie Enterprises fab up a custom Ford 9" or Dana 60...both of which would be overkill for anything short of dropping in a full race 4.7L.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts