Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a new 07 and am concerned about the back discs on the Tundra. I took a new generation Silverado for a spin and knew they had rear discs untill the sales guy told me that they went back to rear drums as they were having trouble with rocks and grit damaging the rear discs. I had a Oldsmobile with rear discs and they were allways a pain. Looking at a new Tundra today and the back calipers sure look like they could catch rocks and cause damage. Any guys drive any miles on gravel yet with any issues?
My 03 Tundra with back drums were never a issue.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am not at all worried about rear discs on my Tundra.GMC had problems with rotor damage because they placed the calipers ahead of the axle so gravity would hold the stones between the caliper and rotor,so the rotor would grind against the stones and be damaged.However instead of relocating the caliper,GMC went back to drums on the rear.However the GMC trucks equipped with the 6L engine still have rear discs.If they really are so bad,why is that?Toyota placed the calipers behind the axle so the stones will fall away from the caliper instead of between the caliper and the rotor.As such,the rotor damage is avoided.

For the record,I have owned three GMC trucks with rear discs and have experienced the grinding noise that occurs when stones get jammed between the caliper and rotor.However,I immediately stopped and backed up which released the stones and no significant damage occurred.However I do know other people that continued to drive when this grinding noise appeared and the result was rotor damage.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about driving a vehicle with rear discs. In fact, I have one. My 89 Isuzu Trooper and 89 Isuzu Pickup both have rear discs. Had the Pickup until it was 15 years old and still have the Trooper at 18 years old. Have never had a problem with either one. :tu:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had about 100K on an 01 Silverado and had no problems with the rear discs. It still had the original brake pads too. Anyway, I think the problem was the guys that did serious 4-wheeling. I didn't do that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Like others have said the rear disc aren't a problem at all. Had them on a bunch of GM vehicles and never had an issue. I think there are more problems with people living in northern states where there's snow. I surely wouldn't let it stop me from buying a vehicle i wanted. :tu:

·
Registered
265 Posts
My brother has replaced the rear rotors on his 03 Silverado twice because of damage caused by rocks getting caught in them.

That sucks big. Does he travel alot of gravel roads. My driveway is about a quarter mile of Gravel and i never had any troubles with my rear disc vehicles. My moms benz was a different story, that thing made some of the most horrible noise under light breaking while going slow. I think it was mainly because she let her car sit for long periods of time but it sure didn't sound good to me. :eek:

·
Registered
242 Posts
That sucks big. Does he travel alot of gravel roads. My driveway is about a quarter mile of Gravel and i never had any troubles with my rear disc vehicles. My moms benz was a different story, that thing made some of the most horrible noise under light breaking while going slow. I think it was mainly because she let her car sit for long periods of time but it sure didn't sound good to me. :eek:
Yeah, he does travel on gravel roads a lot. I just think that it was a poor design by GM. It looks like Toyota designed their rear discs right on the new Tundra. Took one out for a test drive today and definately noticed the strong braking power on these trucks!:tu:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Two 'Runners, an F250 super duty, an Explorer and the Tundra ... all rear disks ... 2 miles of gravel road to pavement ... no problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your guy's opinions on the rear disks. I took both a 07 Tundra and the nw 07 Silverado out yesterday for some side byside comparrisons. GM salesman sure was pushing thier engine managment system for improving gas milage. Sure got quiet when I told him that I knew the specs and that the 5.7L Tundra got better milage and had a lot more power as tested. The chevy 5.3 I found made a lot of noise when you tromp on it and the Tundra really hawls as*. Ran both trucks up the same hill and the Chevy dropped all the way to 2nd gear. Both were leather interiors and price was similar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts