Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a request for assistance in finding the threads that deal with fixing the rear doors, and the fact that they close far too easily.
I have been searching for a variety of terms but always end up with pages of threads not related to this question.
I know that the part in question is called a "Door Check Assembly".
I am wondering whether replacing these parts fixes the issue or whether it's poor engineering and we have to live with this? These doors are heavy and my small sons are trying to get into the vehicle, while the doors are closing on them! It's dangerous and unacceptable for a high-end vehicle such as this.
I would welcome any links to threads, fixes or thoughts. Please don't tell me to use bungee cables to tie the doors down each time I use them as I saw on another thread. I'm looking for a real fix! Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Common problem, I am looking online to buy some door checks soon. I think I've seen them as cheap as $43. I actually took one apart and drilled out the welds on a check. Inside there is plastic sliders over a rubber bushing. The carbon plastic piece you see sliding into the door completely wears out the inside plastic parts. This is so underengineered for the door it is not even funny. I tried different ways of putting different hand cut pieces in the door check boxes but only get mild results. I'd advise just buying new ones and hopefully they'll last a little longer, there's some good posts on taking doors apart, the best advise is the little push pins on the tail end of the door panel, push the center in and the clip comes out, it can then be reset for reuse, the rest is pretty simple if you've ever popped off an average door panel.

EDIT: best price I can find now is $58 at www.1sttoyotaparts.com I could swear I saw them for $43, anyone else know where they're cheaper?? Searching on a toyota parts site usually: "Rear Door - Lock & Hardware - Door Check"

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your post nem. How difficult is it to replace these parts? If you could possible walk me through the procedure that would be fantastic. Do I need any special tools? A pic or 3 would really save the day. I'm hoping to do this job myself in the near future after ordering the two door checks (thanks for the 1sttoyotaparts link...I have used them in the past and prices are good although shipping is expensive).
Much appreciated!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pop out the pushpins on the tail edge of the door by pushing the center in. Use a very, very small flat tip screw driver to pop off the various covers over the phillips screws, undo the screws. After this a door panel tool is an asset, probably about $5 at any auto parts store. You slide it under the door panel and pop the plastic rivets out. The tool is a u shaped flat looking spatula shape, it pulls the plastic rivets without damaging them or the panel. Some guys use screwdrivers, if you are careful this works, I've just gotten older and wiser and use the right tool, it's easier too. Fish the door handle back through the panel and then lift the panel off vertically to disconnect it from the window sill. Remove the door speaker too I believe. After this simply unbolt the door check, 3 10mm nuts and push the check inside the door and out the speaker hole. Be careful not to push the door open too far too hard when it is removed, the door could get damaged. For pictures of the door panel removal do a search on "door panel" or similar. I read a very detailed post with some excellent pictures for a front door that will basically explain all this very well. Good Luck!

After you've done one side, the second side will take about 15 minutes. :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you VERY much Nem for your writeup. I am planning on buying the door check parts soon and have been debating doing this myself or not. Your writeup is helping a great deal!
I'm still not quite sure about whether I'll tackle this myself, my worst nightmare is wrecking something and causing more damage than the install would be worth. (it's happened before! :)

I think that with some more research and hopefully pics or vids of panel removal that I might be OK. I was initially worried about the steering wheel removal but the great posts helped, and I installed the right side steering wheel controls. Also dash removal and replacement used to freak me out but I put in the glass break sensor a few weeks ago and it was relatively straightforward. If you think this is a straightforward install I'll try door panel next!

cheers nem and much obliged;
dakotah

1 - 5 of 5 Posts