Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
My 99 Avalon XLS Platinum Edition all of a sudden had water in the rear driver's side door. The inside of the car is dry. There was a lot of rain lately, but I have never had water inside the door body before. I pulled the rubber trim at the bottom to drain it.

Has anyone ever had this happen? All of the trim and window seals look fine.
Any solutions? Is this a common problem with the Avalons?

Thanks,
Karl

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: Rear door full of (rain)water?!!

correct about unplugging the drain holes, water needs to flow there to escape. Foliage residue tends to get trapped in there if you are near trees. A tip if you have a sunroof, as well, you might check and clean the drainholes around the perimeter of the open sunroof. They need to drain, too, and if you're getting some residue in the door it may well be around the sunroof drains.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks. I'll check them. It makes sense now, I spent a month away from home. I temporarily parked my car in a different location (under a tree). I guess thats how it got clogged.

Can they be unclogged from the outside? (without taking off the inside trim panel)

Thanks again,
Karl

·
Premium Member
859 Posts

:tu:
karlkaminski said:
Thanks. I'll check them. It makes sense now, I spent a month away from home. I temporarily parked my car in a different location (under a tree). I guess thats how it got clogged.

Can they be unclogged from the outside? (without taking off the inside trim panel)

Thanks again,
Karl
You should be able to see the holes from the bottom of the doors. You might be able to clean them out from there but if the door isn't really cleaned out from the inside, the same crud might just plug the hole again. You might try it from the outside, but if it plugs again, you will have to pull the interior panel and really clean it out.

Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts

98 Av with water in rear doors too - Can anyone tell me how to remove interior door panel so I can clean it out? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this thread is old but I have the same issue with the rear driver's side door; full of water. Clearing the drain holes is the obvious answer but where the drain holes are located is not. Of course I expect them to be at the bottom of the door, duh, but I sure couldn't find them. Where are they?
Also, why the same door? Coinsidence? Or is there an issue with the rear driver's side door?

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I know this thread is old but I have the same issue with the rear driver's side door; full of water. Clearing the drain holes is the obvious answer but where the drain holes are located is not. Of course I expect them to be at the bottom of the door, duh, but I sure couldn't find them. Where are they?
Also, why the same door? Coinsidence? Or is there an issue with the rear driver's side door?
Each one of the doors will have drain holes located to the outside of the last exterior door frame seal so the water trapped drains to the exterior of the car body. They may be round, rectangular or louver shaped but they'll always be at the lowest inside area of the doors seen when opened. Hope this helps you find them.

Larry

·
Registered
635 Posts
Our old '99 did the same thing. I think it's more a design flaw than clogged drain holes. As soon as we would open a door, it took a big leak on the ground.

Open the door & pull back the weather stripping along the bottom & you'll see small square holes just above the seam. I think there were 3 of them.

HTH

·
Registered
635 Posts
Why is it just the driver's side rear door? I've read and heard of only that door having the issue with rain water. Logic would suggest the passenger side would be subject to more debris (curbside tree leaves and such).
Something wrong with the design. Our car did it from day one with 12 miles on the odometer & not a tree in sight. The passenger side did it, but a lot less than the driver's side. I think I drained the passenger side 2 or 3 times & the driver's side after every rain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took a drill with a 1/4" bit and popped a hole to the bottom of each of the four doors. That was 4 years ago.
Haven't had a problem since.
YMMV

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I pulled the bottom weather stripping/ trim sightly away from the door and inserted a piece of plastic zip tie strip in between the trim and door as a spacer and now the water always drain.

·
Registered
1 Posts

correct about unplugging the drain holes, water needs to flow there to escape. Foliage residue tends to get trapped in there if you are near trees. A tip if you have a sunroof, as well, you might check and clean the drainholes around the perimeter of the open sunroof. They need to drain, too, and if you're getting some residue in the door it may well be around the sunroof drains.

Where are the drain holes located on the cardio??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts