Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is behind the license plate mount on the rear door of the Sequoia? Also, are the plastic bushings that the license plate screws screw into attached to anything or are they just popped into the square hole?

The reason I am asking is that I can easily install an antenna for a ham radio with a license plate mount. However, it needs to be securely attached - that means the bushings hopefully have some rigid metal tey are attached to or directly behind them. I don't want to screw into any wiring or other parts in the rear door around the plate.

Thanks for any info.

Chip

·
Registered
69 Posts
hi chip,
there are no braces inside, it's pretty tight in there, coz most of the window mechanism is located there. the little plastic nuts just snap in.
hope this helps
john

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I don't think that would be considered a secure install. Do you have a roof rack? Could you hook something up to that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a roof rack. The rack tubes are so big, most of the traditional mounts sold for roof racks are too small, but I'm looking at making something that will fit.

I think what I am going to do for the time being is use a hitch mount - goes under the ball and is pretty secure. Its not ideal because the antenna is so low, and the antenna has to be taken off before the rear hatch can open. But its a good start until I can get something secure rigged up higher.

Thanks for the helpful info.

Chip

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Hi,

What size antenna are you looking to mount on the car? I use the Comet RS820 mount on the hood on the drivers side. It normally keeps the Comet B-20 dual band there, but during things I change it out to the Yaesu ATAS-100 40M-40CM antenna. The mount is good enought to keep the antenna secure during highway driving.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris:

Glad to hear you have a rig in the vehicle. I'm sitting here worried I'm going to fry the ECU when I hook all this up and transmit! I have the Toyota letter outlining acceptable installs in their vehicles, but am still worried.

I'm going to start with a simple Hamstick for 20m HF - lightweight, no large coils, under 7' tall. Have you had any trouble with RF getting into the car's electronic systems or engine noise in the receiver, with the hood mount? That may turn out to be my easiest option.

How did you run the DC power and the coax? There is a nice grommet on the drivers side firewall, but it looks like its got a large portion of the wiring harness for all the electronic sensors and controls running through it.

Thanks for your input - its good to hear someone out there has a succesful set-up.

Chip

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Chip,

Well you can do the smoke test like I normally do after installation. Start the car, get out stand away and key up! :D If the airbags don't go off or the car does not die then change freq.’s and repeat above....

I remember in my last car (96 RAV4) they stated that Toyota now will allow up to 100W transmitter in their cars. In the Seq manual it states to talk to Toyota.

I looked at that grommet and thought, nope to difficult, so I used the empty one right next to it. I ran #10 AWG in and the coax and some other control cables for other electronics though that one. You have to cut off the end nipple and then you can get the wires through, although it did take a while of screaming and cursing to get them all the way through.

I only have used the HF rig a few times. The normal VHF/UHF rig is a Icom IC-2710H mounted inside the center console. I have remote mounted the head unit up in the upper notepad compartment, and installed an external speaker under the drivers seat. When I put the HF rig in I just normally put it in the passenger seat and run the wires into the center console and use the existing connections. I use an Yaesu FT-847 so its on the large side for normal install. The few times that I have used it mobile I have not had any problems, although I did not talk that much, but what I did was on 20M and 40M. There was some hash but not bad. I get more from my cheapy inverter that I use for the AC powered stuff.

Just use a good quality coax and make sure to keep things grounded and you should be ok. I am always scared the first time I install the radio and normally do the test in the first paragraph. As the most sensitive parts are the pyrotechnics in the airbags, which are susceptible to static discharges also. (stay away as far as you can from any yellow wires) Also another tip would be to try and cross any wire harness at 90 degrees and don’t run parallel to them esp with the coax.

The body ECU is not the only computer in the Sequoia, there’s the ABS/TRAC/VSC (skid) computer, 4WD computer, Airbag computer, translate computer, Engine control computer, left door computer, right door computer, back hatch computer, moon roof computer, overhead console computer, radio, two amps, and a few other nice electrical things that you need to contend with. One of the more important things in the Sequoia is that it is a throttle by wire system, so the accelerator pedal is just a sensor going via 3 wires to the engine control module computer.

If you really think about all the things that you need to avoid you really can’t put a radio in. Lets just hope that Toyota did some of there EMI homework and gave it their blessing....

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts