Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the most annoying squeaky rear doors ever heard on my 05 Sequoia. The doors appear to line up well (no accidents), but the noise will put shivers up your spine when I open and close the doors. The noise is generated at the hinges. Is there some non greasy lubricant that I can use to stop this? Has anybody else experienced this “chalk screeching against the blackboard” sound? I notice this sound more when it is cold (-10C or colder).

:ts:

Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are a lot of options. As far as a non-greasy lube, spray graphite lubricants have done well for me. They are not greasy and you can easily wipe away the excess spray. WD-40 type lubes also work very well, but they typically need to be reapplied more frequently than the more greasy types such as white lithium grease. I wouldn't worry so much about the greasiness, so long as you wipe away the excess you shouldn't have problems with gunk buildup. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the most annoying squeaky rear doors ever heard on my 05 Sequoia. The doors appear to line up well (no accidents), but the noise will put shivers up your spine when I open and close the doors. The noise is generated at the hinges. Is there some non greasy lubricant that I can use to stop this? Has anybody else experienced this “chalk screeching against the blackboard” sound? I notice this sound more when it is cold (-10C or colder).

:ts:

Steve
I've had a similar problem on both rear doors but not as bad as you described. I just spray some Prolong lube on the hinges and its goes away for about a year.

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
At some point replacing the hinges is the only option. The trick is to Lube them well from the start when brand new! And make it a ritual to do it every oil change to do it as I do. Graphite is thin and penetrates(messy too)and would free up a noisey hinge however not great for maintaining the hinge , because it's not designed for high tension/ pressure lubrication It won't last well because it gets displaced by moisture easily...
maintain it with a good Automotive/Marine Synthetic(water resistent) spray lube.
"Super Lube Spray Synthetic with Teflon" comes to mind.
:)
LT

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
White Grease in an aerosol can works the BEST...it's in the can with the little metal balls in, when you shake it you hear the metal ball mixing up the white grease. I use that stuff and after I spray I wipe away the extra and NEVER have to spray again. Try it, Johnnnny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts