Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have 77k on the drums now, they still look good but i am just going to go ahead and repleace them, but i want to know how to adjust them because i know there not working because i have wrap 2 sets of disc already. Well thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
As long as they aren't gouged or warped then there's no need to replace them. Especially since they haven't been adjusted, i'd be willing to bet the drums and shoes are in great condition. To adjust them, jack up each tire, remove the adjuster grommet from the backing-plate, as you're turning the tire by hand turn the adjuster w/a flat screw driver till you start hearing the shoes touch the drums. You don't want to go too far or else it's a real pain to back them off plus you can over heat the drums. A little too lose is better than too tight. After you do both sides take it for a ride and see how it's stopping. Might need to tighten them a notch or 2 afterwards, but only go 2-3 notches at a time after the initial adjusting. Then do it every couple months. Might also want to make sure the parking brake bell-cranks are seized up like many do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts