Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a lot of work in cottage country lately. The road goes from paved, to hard packed gravel, to loose packed gravel, to mud.

I've noticed the rear of the truck seems to bounce pretty hard through some of the ruts, it feels like I have about 1500 pounds in the rear, but I don't.

I do have a couple hundred pounds of tools and three or four adults.

So less than 1000 pounds, but it still seems like its heavy.

Does this sound normal?

·
Registered
739 Posts
That would be spring over designed leafs. And 4 inches of bump travel. See the problem is there is no room for the axle to move "up" before it bottoms out. Only way to fix this is convert to spring under.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I just put a set on mine last week, only running 10lbs currently and have not noticed much difference yet.
Pics in my gallery
maybe this weekend I can run out my back yard into BLM country and test it on the rocks fer sure.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put a set on mine last week, only running 10lbs currently and have not noticed much difference yet.
Pics in my gallery
maybe this weekend I can run out my back yard into BLM country and test it on the rocks fer sure.
Well I suppose with those installed you will never hit the bump stops again.

Was it a difficult install?

How much does a kit like that cost?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Well I suppose with those installed you will never hit the bump stops again.

Was it a difficult install?

How much does a kit like that cost?
They work great especially for towing and loading your bed up. The firestones airbags cost me 250 bucks 3 years ago and took fives hours to put on. You have to drill four holes on each side through the frame. Be careful not to hit the brake or electrical lines when drilling on the drivers side. I could probably do them in three now as the first time is always the hardest. I run about 50lbs in them when pulling my horse trailer. They do stiffen up the ride when you are driving alone making the truck a little bouncy.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I paid 235. or so for mine through summit. Like he said have to drill holes in the frame being very cautous of brake and fuel lines. I used all air tools drill etc. and it did not take very long at all.
I would say the worst part was pass side as it intermeshes with a crossmember. Tough to reach around and keep the wrench on and tighten the outside.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I paid 235. or so for mine through summit. Like he said have to drill holes in the frame being very cautous of brake and fuel lines. I used all air tools drill etc. and it did not take very long at all.
I would say the worst part was pass side as it intermeshes with a crossmember. Tough to reach around and keep the wrench on and tighten the outside.
Can you deflate them enough to make it seem like they arent there at all?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Can you deflate them enough to make it seem like they arent there at all?
No, you need a minimum of 10lbs in them that will still make your truck ride more stiff than without them. But for towing and loading up your truck they can't be beat.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Like he said 10lbs min but they are still pretty cushy.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$235 isn't bad.

I'll have to consider it.

Most of the materials get delivered, so its just a matter of tools and men, but that all adds up.

It appears you just flip you plate and air up.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Tundra Hick, Here are the instructions on how to put them on.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Yes for now thats how I am airing them up, had to put the trailer plug up there as I kept destroying it in the stock location.
Eventually I will have the funds to get the viair unit and tanks. That will enable me to control the bags from the cab, the air lockers and air up the tires all from 1 source. Course I still need the arbs as well. Wheres the money tree when ya need it.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
I have them as well even w/the RCD kit. 10Lbs air most of the time. It stiffens it a tiny bit, but nothing thats going to hurt your back or shake your brain.
I run 72psi when towing the TT or Stang. I have an on board compressor and in cab controls as well as manual fill valves.
Air bags rock when towing, they help with the side to side sway alot.
There is a 10psi minimum switch, that automatically keeps them at 10 psi until you say differently.
They do NOT increase load carrying capacity, just help to hold whats there.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have them as well even w/the RCD kit. 10Lbs air most of the time. It stiffens it a tiny bit, but nothing thats going to hurt your back or shake your brain.
I run 72psi when towing the TT or Stang. I have an on board compressor and in cab controls as well as manual fill valves.
Air bags rock when towing, they help with the side to side sway alot.
There is a 10psi minimum switch, that automatically keeps them at 10 psi until you say differently.
They do NOT increase load carrying capacity, just help to hold whats there.
How well do your springs flex with them?

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
How well do your springs flex with them?
They fit on the top of the spring above the axle. The springs work as stock springs do when there is MIN. pressure in the bags. The more air the stiffer it gets.
I have pics of my bags in my gallery somewhere. If you cant find them e-mail me and i will send them to you.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I have pics in my Gallery which show this

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Like trfytoy said it's because the truck is spring-over...what you're feeling is axle wrap. You'll know if you hit the bump stops...it's a very solid impact and you'll feel it through the entire truck. I doubt it's your truck on the bump stops, it honestly feels like something is seriously wrong when you hit the stops. You'll notice axle wrap everywhere the surface isn't uniform and you're on the gas...railroad crossing, bump in the road, gravel/sand on the road, pavement break, etc...just the nature of the beast.

There are a couple things you can do...easiest is to stay off the gas when you hit a bunch of big bumps like that, or a transition in the road surface.

You can also get stiffer shocks.

Best thing would be a traction bar, and you'll never notice the problem again.

If you really are hitting the stops, airbags will help...but you're still wrapping the axle. If spring-under isn't for you, there's always links :devil:.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like trfytoy said it's because the truck is spring-over...what you're feeling is axle wrap. You'll know if you hit the bump stops...it's a very solid impact and you'll feel it through the entire truck. I doubt it's your truck on the bump stops, it honestly feels like something is seriously wrong when you hit the stops. You'll notice axle wrap everywhere the surface isn't uniform and you're on the gas...railroad crossing, bump in the road, gravel/sand on the road, pavement break, etc...just the nature of the beast.

There are a couple things you can do...easiest is to stay off the gas when you hit a bunch of big bumps like that, or a transition in the road surface.

You can also get stiffer shocks.

Best thing would be a traction bar, and you'll never notice the problem again.

If you really are hitting the stops, airbags will help...but you're still wrapping the axle. If spring-under isn't for you, there's always links :devil:.

-Sean
I thought traction bars were more for high performance or lifted trucks?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts