Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Should be a lil tag with some numbers on it if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
that would be a 3.91 gear ratio
Provided he does not have the tow package which would put him at 4:10's. In fact I think all DC came with 4:10's from the factory.

The best way to find out is pull the VIN and call the dealer. Using the VIN the dealer can pull up all the specs and tell him for sure.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
According to this page ( Gearratiosanddiffs ) it says you can look at your VIN plate to find out the rear end gear ratio but I dont know how accurate it is.

My VIN plate says A/TM: A01A / A750E. So going by that page I should have 3.42, and its a '06 DC with factory tow package.

Never heard of 3.42 gears, when doing some searching for 4wd parts there seems to be only 3 gear ratios for a '06 V8 Tundra, theres 3.91 (4wd) and 3.62 & 3.92 (2wd)

2006 Tundra
-Rear Axle, 6 cyl (3.77 ratio)
-Rear Axle, 8 cyl, 4x2, 3.62 ratio, locking (posi)
-Rear Axle, 8 cyl, 4x2, 3.62 ratio, w/o locking
-Rear Axle, 8 cyl, 4x2, 3.92 ratio, locking (posi)
-Rear Axle, 8 cyl, 4x2, 3.92 ratio, w/o locking
-Rear Axle, 8 cyl, 4x4, (3.91 ratio), locking (posi)
-Rear Axle, 8 cyl, 4x4, (3.91 ratio), w/o locking

Like Highwaylizard said its best to just call the dealer and give them your VIN because you cant always trust what you read online. ;)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Provided he does not have the tow package which would put him at 4:10's. In fact I think all DC came with 4:10's from the factory.

The best way to find out is pull the VIN and call the dealer. Using the VIN the dealer can pull up all the specs and tell him for sure.
thanks for the clarification. i thought they all came with 3:91's in 06?? looks like i have 4:10 then since i have the tow package. i'm gonna take your recommendation and get hooked up with a dealer and see what they have to say. thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok...I'm a idiot! My truck is a 04'. I must of had it confused with my wifes car. So I guess it would have a 4.08 or 4.10? The reason I'm asking is because I just bought a boat and I tow it from Cincinnati to Lake Cumberland frequently. Its a very hilly trip and truck seems to struggle a tiny bit. I feel like a taller gear would help out alot. I'm not really concerned with gas mileage.....it already sucks!

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Ok...I'm a idiot! My truck is a 04'. I must of had it confused with my wifes car. So I guess it would have a 4.08 or 4.10? The reason I'm asking is because I just bought a boat and I tow it from Cincinnati to Lake Cumberland frequently. Its a very hilly trip and truck seems to struggle a tiny bit. I feel like a taller gear would help out alot. I'm not really concerned with gas mileage.....it already sucks!

You have the same thing I had - 4:10's. Make sure you take her out of overdrive when pulling. I used to pull landscaping trailers completely grossed and during leaf season way over gross. My transmission is in great shape but I made sure to take it out of overdrive religiously. Also, do your transmission drain and refill (four quarts or so) every 15,000 miles. A magnifine inline transmission filter will pay dividends as well.

Lake Cumberland is a ton of fun. Next year the future Mrs. Lizard and I will have our sailboat ready for water and we can hardly wait.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have the same thing I had - 4:10's. Make sure you take her out of overdrive when pulling. I used to pull landscaping trailers completely grossed and during leaf season way over gross. My transmission is in great shape but I made sure to take it out of overdrive religiously. Also, do your transmission drain and refill (four quarts or so) every 15,000 miles. A magnifine inline transmission filter will pay dividends as well.

Lake Cumberland is a ton of fun. Next year the future Mrs. Lizard and I will have our sailboat ready for water and we can hardly wait.
Before the first trip I changed the tranny filter and installed a TRU-COOL 28,000 GVW transmission cooler. You say you "had" 4:10's? What do you have now?

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Before the first trip I changed the tranny filter and installed a TRU-COOL 28,000 GVW transmission cooler. You say you "had" 4:10's? What do you have now?
I have a set of 3:91's now which have helped out a little in the MPG department. I do not pull trailers anymore and due to a Real Men of Genius moment I ended up destroying my rear gears. A set of 3:91's were offered (see my "thanks" in my signature) and so I went with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts