Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all this is my 1st post and what a great site. I own a 2006 Tundra, access-cab, stepside. My passenger side rear lens needs replaced. It has a hole the size of nickle. I have found a new lens for $100.00 online. Has any one replaced one or know of any directions to do so?

Secondly has anyone gone to the Indiana Truck Plant...do the have tours?

Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Are you talking about the brake light lens? Are you going to be replacing the entire assembly or just the lens?

If you're replacing the entire assembly, it should be pretty easy. On my non-stepside truck, you have to lower the tailgate and you will be see two bolts that have to be removed. Once this is done, two little tabs have to be popped out of sockets. Not sure how they will be on a stepside, but the assembly has to be popped/pulled straight out on my truck. Now that the assembly is removed, I'm assuming you will have to remove the bulbs unless the new one comes with them. There are a few electrical connections that have to be disconnected but that should be pretty easy.

Reassemble in reverse order.

Sorry, no info. on the truck plant.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
yeah, its pretty easy. alot easier than i thought anyway.

tools: 10mm box wrench, 10mm deep socket, 10mm standard socket, and a
small standard screwdriver.

1. climb under the rear fender and remove the 3 pairs of wires that go into the lamp housing. the bulbs are 3157 blade type so they are simple 1/4 twist sockets. when you twist the sockets out the bulbs will come out too. NOTE: the wire harness may also be loomed in a retaner, remove that too, but you dont have to dissconnect the cannon plug, you can just let it hang

2. remove the 10mm nut with box wrench

3. open tailgate, remove black service plug/cover, about 1 inch diameter, with standard screwdriver. careful not to damage when prying out.

4. remove 10mm nut with deep socket. dont worry if the nut falls off, it will fall through to the ground.

5. climb back under the fender and push the front portion of the assembly out about 1/4 inch until it "pops" out. DO NOT attempt to push all the way out. carefully pry with a wedge/lever if you have to. (then again who cares, your going to replace it anyway)

6. back to the service hole... using a standard socket, place the socket on the extension. insert it into the hole and guide it onto the bare bolt. apply pressure by pushing outward on the bolt until it "pops" out, about 1/4 inch. be sure to have your hand on the outer portion of the lamp assembly or it may fall out and hit the ground.

voila, its out.

mounting the lamp assembly is pretty self explanitory at that point.

you can use a shop vac to remove most of the dust from the lamp if need be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

i installed 3157 LED bulbs in my tail lamps of my stepside about a month ago. i had to remove both sides to do the job. turns out the LED lights were a tad to large for the stock diameter bulbs to fit through. i had to dremel the holes just abit. left a heck of a mess of plastic debris inside the tail lamp housing. i used a shop vac to suck it all out from one of the bulb holes.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/830

love my LEDs. :tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone! Less than an hour from getting the tools out, replacing the lens and putting the tools back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts