Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I finally removed the rear Downey 2" lift springs and crappy Bilstein HD shocks. I've been doing a lot of research on the Cruiser sites, and ordered up some 100 series Land Cruiser parts. I wasn't sure which would fit, so I ordered a set of OME 860 2" springs and OME865 1.5" springs. I knew that the LC weighed in more than the Sequoia, so I wasn't sure where it would sit. So, for those of you looking to do a lift in the rear instead of a spacer lift....here is what I did.

I'll post some pictures as well so you can see the before and after. After the OME860 was installed, we put it down on the ground and it sat about 4-5" over stock...way too high. So, off they went and we put the OME865's in and put it on the ground. Side note: make sure to unbolt the sway bar from axle to allow more articulation to get the spring in. Once the 865 was installed, it sat about 3" over stock and will probably settle 1/2" giving about a 2.5" lift in the rear. Both the 860 and 865 are rated at 0-200lbs heavier weight capacity over stock. For those of you who wish to be closer to 2" to 2.25" of lift, there is a shorter OME862 that would probably do the trick. Make sure to purchase some of the OME spacers in case you need to level one side out, or bring it up at all. They come in 5 or 10mm thicknesses.

Next, on the list was the OME 60002 Nitrocharger (New style) shock. This one has the new valving and is supposed to work similarly to the Bilstein comfort wise. The extension/compression of the shock appears to be the same, but looks a little beefier than the Bilstein. I also purchased the OME661 stone guards, and they fit on the bottom of the shock to prevent peppering of the exterior.

Initial test drive went really well. The Sequoia instantly seemed more responsive on dips in the road. It's a firmer, yet more controlled feel and I can tell that I can add several people in the back with gear and still ride very well. The shocks are the "comfort" ride version, but there is a "firm" available if you tow a trailer or haul a lot with it. I find that the 60002 is right on the money, and the combination with the heavier OME865 spring is what I was looking for. I'm glad I didn't go with the heavier 863 I was originally looking at.

The picture to the left shows the before shot with the Downey springs and Bilstein shocks. The next picture is the side by side Bilstein and OME60002 with stone guard. The next picture is the OME865 springs. There is a picture of it installed (Sorry for the bad phone pictures). I also need to say thank you to the guys over at Jack-It Suspension for all the terrific help in the trial and error installation. We've tried many shocks, and this is by far the best set up! Please call them if you need to order parts for your Sequoia...they'll be able to get you the right stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a follow up now that I've driven on this set-up for a couple days now. My wife drove it a couple times and absolutely loved it and commented on how nice it drove. The stance from a distance looks good. With the front coilovers cranked up, the rear only sits 1" inch higher than the front...giving it a very small rake. I'll watch it over the next couple weeks to see if it settles at all. The shocks and spring combo worked out better than I thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well done Big-O! I'm glad someone finally took the time to make this happen. It looks sweet. Do you think the combination you installed would have similar payload as stock? I pull a trailer pretty regularly but the stock setup handled it fine. Not sure if it would be worth going with the heavy duty springs as it may sacrifice ride...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks great, congrats!!

You did a great job, now to get the 285's on there :cool:

I wish I had all that clearance....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks kraftyone! As for payload, I read the specs on this model of spring is rated at up to 200lbs more payload and is a progressive rate spring. So far, I've noticed that it is a pretty smooth/controlled ride overall. It is slightly firmer than stock, but not as firm as my brother-in-laws Armada and certainly very livable for everyday driving. The shocks do a really good job, and are a great stock option replacement. They are nearly the same extension and compression length as stock from what I can see. If if were to relate the ride, I would say that it feels like my 05' Tundra Double Cab when I had a rear add-a-leaf and Bilstein 5100's on the rear and nothing in the bed (well, maybe a little smoother).

So, my recommendation for those looking for a stock rear spring replacement with a little more weight capacity and a 2.25" more clearance to go with the OME862. I think the OME865 should only be used if you have the front lifted already and are 2.5" or higher...or you will have too much rake. You can use the OME60002 as a stock replacement or with the spring or spacer rear lift and have much better handling. If you do tow a lot, the firm shock might do you better (OME60003).

Yes, no kidding! I have a ton of room for tire now...I just need to cough up some more money to get the bigger tires now. Add it to the list....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
looks perfect! I always enjoyed a leveled vehicle. what setup are you running in the front?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I measured it again today, and it looks like it is exactly 2.75" lift in the rear unloaded and 2.25" with the Sequoia loaded up. From what I've read, I shouldn't expect much settling of the springs...maybe a .25" if any. I'll be watching and feeling the ride to see if the panhard bar becomes an issue with it not being level anymore. There is an adjustable panhard bar that can be installed, but I think it typically isn't used unless you are running over 3-4" of rear lift. I think it might be fine.

To answer your question PagalDesi4Life, the front is an adjustable coilover made by Downey (who is now out of business)...and it utilizes a Bilstein shock. The front is adjusted as high as I dare to go while keeping the CV angles livable...along with a diff drop spacer. So the total lift is approximately 2.75" up front. I didn't measure the complete before and after since before the lift as I've had different tires and the numbers could be slightly off due to the tire size....although I also measured from the center of the hub for a more accurate measurement.

I have a neighbor with a stock Sequoia, so I'm going to see if he will park next to me so I can take some side by side pictures for a better comparison.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
big-o, would you say the differential drop spacer is necessary in conjunction with the coilovers? i have the bilstein coilovers on my sequoia set at prob 3/4 of the height the coilovers since prob 2005. i've never thought about adding the diff drop spacers nor has it ever occurred to me till recently when i actually learned about them. however i've thought about raising the coilovers height to its' max since over the fast few years the front has dipped a little.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think keeping the front CV angle as close to stock as normal will help to lengthen the life of the joint & boots, but if you only have it lifted 3/4" I wouldn't worry about it. Some people have done the Porsche 930 high angle boots too. It's when you start going 2'" and above that it becomes a good idea. So if you do decide to crank it up, I would consider the diff drop spacers and maybe the Camburg upper control arms if you want to get the alignment a little more dialed in.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
sorry, i meant that i have the coilovers raised to 3/4 of its capable height, which gave me a 2" lift. so i technically have 1/4 thread left on the coilovers that i can crank up which should make up for the sagging in the front, correct? was the diff drop spacer install difficult or simple? i can afford those, the control arms...not so much lol but i have thought about it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, I see what you mean. I wouldn't go by the remaining thread...not accurate. I based my actual lift by before and after measurements from the center of the hub to the fender lip with all four tires on the ground. I still have maybe another 1-1.5" left on the threads, and I'm at 2.75" of lift. I would recommend the diff drop spacer. It's cheap and easy to install in the garage with simple hand tools (two bolts), and or you could do the CV boot mod with some clamps to keep from slinging any grease (if your not slinging any grease, I wouldn't worry about the clamps). So, yes I would crank yours up another 1/4" if needed and see if you can max out your caster when you get it aligned...get as close to 2+ to 2.75+ as you can.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wanted to update a couple pictures of this rear suspension. A neighbor has a similar year, color and factory suspension Sequoia. So, I pulled up next to him to take a couple quick side by side pictures. It's not the best, but you can get a good idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
big-o pm me the cost of the setup I am getting ready to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PM Sent..

Average price in looking around is just under $400 to purchase the springs and shocks. So you can plan on average, retail being around $200 for a set of springs and about $200 for a set of shocks. I believe the front OME struts are a little bit more. Then you can add shipping and or install if needed. Give the guys over at www.jackit.com a call for the best pricing and service, they're awesome to work with.

·
Registered
219 Posts
DAMMIT!!! I said that I wouldn't do anything to the Sequoia and now I see this... When I lived out west I built my Tundra for the desert, Total Chaos Long Travel, Kings, Deavers... Then I moved to Maine and I bought a 04 Sequoia and said I don't need to do anything to it. Now I want to give it a little lift, that's all... HAHAHA!!

I guess that is part of being a Toyota owner, we can't leave these things alone!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well said!! Sounds like you had a pretty nice Tundra!

·
Registered
11 Posts
PM Sent..

Average price in looking around is just under $400 to purchase the springs and shocks. So you can plan on average, retail being around $200 for a set of springs and about $200 for a set of shocks. I believe the front OME struts are a little bit more. Then you can add shipping and or install if needed. Give the guys over at www.jackit.com a call for the best pricing and service, they're awesome to work with.

Hey Big-o,
Thanks for figuring out what OME parts to go with for the rear, do you happen to know which OME struts would match the amount of lift you have on the Sequoia? By the way your Sequoia looks sweet! Hoping my will look like that soon. Thanks again for doing all the research.
Toyotarig

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Toyotarig, it's been a fun sequoia for us.

For the front to match the rear, you'll want to stay close to 2.75" lift up front. The OME springs (OME885) may only be good for 2-2.5" of lift, so it may require a small spacer or trim packer....but it may be fine (haven't actually seen it done to a Sequoia yet). The OME front struts would be the OME90004.

I tried to keep my stance with a factory rake, with the rear slightly higher...and it currently matches the factory rake. I did this with the help of my front adjustable coilovers. I'm not sure if that answers your question or not. Another option I thought of recently, is if someone tried a Bilstein 5100 adjustable height strut with the OME885 spring...but it may give too much height? Anyway, have fun with your Sequoia!

Reactions: Techmo82

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Big-O, you did answer my question. I would like to stick with Old Man Emu products if possible, although the Icon/Camburg setup looks nice. Decisions, Decisions!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts