Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed yesterday that the rear of the frame of my truck is spread outward at the bottom. I'm not really sure how far forward it goes...I would guess to the X-brace crossmember...but where the shackle hangers mount, the frame is about half a degree off vertical, leaning toward the center: / \

Anyone else notice this?

I can think of two possible causes, if it didn't come that way from the factory...one is simple twisting of the frame (I've noticed the rear of the C-channel frame buckles & bulges in a couple places similar to the Tacoma frames), the other is the offset shackle twisting the frame up on hard hits...but I'm inclined to suspect the former.

If anybody is willing to stick a digital level on their frame just in front of the shackle hanger, and post what they find, I'd really appreciate it. On my truck, it's a visible angle from behind the vehicle. Not a big angle, but it's there...less than the negative camber you can see on the rear wheels of some IRS cars and SUVs.

-Sean

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
Give me a pic of what you are looking at and I can check my father-in-laws truck. He's got a 2000 with about 30,000 miles and the only dirt it's seen is during a dust storm.

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup. Seen this happen to the frame up front too. These trucks don't like being jumped over and over again :D
And I haven't even jumped mine yet...just flexed the hell out of it. Good to know I'm not the only one this happens to...and it makes me very glad part of the plan includes tying the shackle hangers together across the frame.

What spreads at the front of the frame?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts