Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear Pinion noisy

So my 07 Diff starts to get noisy while towing my 29 foot 9,000 lb trailer (I am on vacation)
Figure I will drop it at a dealer 200 km from home and have them fix it while I am camping.
I get a call asking if I own a boat and that the diff had water in it.
THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE, I have had the truck since new, and have never even so much as dipped that diff in water.
Service manager says "look at the rust"
I am a licensed tech, and have been for 20 years, 10 of those spent at Oakville Toyota in Ontario, Canada.
Please look at this picture and tell me if you think the rust shown in it, (inner collar) has been there since assembly.

RICK

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
In my professional opinion, yes. Once filled with gear oil, everything gets coated and won't rust. Even if there was water in the diff, it produces what I call "chocolate milk syndrome." (similar to water in engine oil) I have worked in several shops, three being dealerships, near lakes. I have seen a few diffs full of water. They did not rust, they got milky.
Looks to me like the entire center section sat on a shelf and drew moisture prior to initial installation at the plant that assembled your particular axle assy.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Isn't there as much rust on the outside of that race as on the inside?. What I see is parts that have been cleaned an set for a while. I find it hard to believe the rust I see could happen even if there was no oil. Why don't you see as much rust on the bearings as the spot where the bearings touch the races?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Judging by the picture, it looks like there's a bit of surface rust on the bearing cage and on the center section itself.

What ultimately did you/the dealer find wrong with the diff? Did you tear it apart or did the dealer? As Socal already said, did the oil look like chocolate milk when it was drained? If the dealer drained it, I would have asked to see the gear lube that came out of it.

A blocked vent tube can also cause moisture to accumulate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer took it apart, it was a very obvious pinion bearing noise on accel and decel.

I won't mention the dealer, but they are in farm tractor land.
Simple condensation would cause the rust we are seeing.
Warranty is covering it, but they are implying that they are doing me a favor, LOL.
After reading some posts regarding 07 diffs, I would have expected a complete replacement with only 30,000 miles on it.
I don't like being thought of as a liar, because of someone else's assessment.
(thumster) I personally did not see the oil.

I was also told that the rear end had been apart before, (LOL), because of the dent in one of the axle seals, take a look at the pic, gee I wonder if that dent matches the splined axle shaft??

Here is another picture of all the "RUST" from the "WATER"

And get this, they have had the truck for a week, I am pissed, had to get CAA to get the trailer out of my camp site.:mad:
thanks for the replies guys,

RICK

·
Banned
444 Posts
The question is, Are you still under warranty? If so they maybe the delay, Most likely they want a toyo Warranty rep to look at it.

But I'm going to agree with everyone else, it seems to have been there since assembly.

You guy's with far superior rear diff knowledge than me. (Socal) If water can get it, could the oil not get out or be leaking out?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would think the dealership would have captured the oil in question to bolster their claim of the diff having water in it. Since they didn't I would guess that the oil wasn't showing "chocolate milk". They didn't save the oil in that case because it wouldn't go with their story of the diff being contaminated with water. If it was a minimal amout of water, the water would cook out of the oil during heavy use (such as pulling that trailer you speak of etc) provided that the vent line is open and clear etc. Even the flange where the backing plates attach is rusted! I think this diff sat partially assembled at the plant and rusted before it was finally assembled and installed into your truck. Good luck! :tu:

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
I would think the dealership would have captured the oil in question to bolster their claim of the diff having water in it. Since they didn't I would guess that the oil wasn't showing "chocolate milk". They didn't save the oil in that case because it wouldn't go with their story of the diff being contaminated with water. If it was a minimal amout of water, the water would cook out of the oil during heavy use (such as pulling that trailer you speak of etc) provided that the vent line is open and clear etc. Even the flange where the backing plates attach is rusted! I think this diff sat partially assembled at the plant and rusted before it was finally assembled and installed into your truck. Good luck! :tu:
Absolutely!! There is no way it would get covered with rust like that in a housing with gear oil and not turn the oil to GOOP!!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
(Socal) If water can get it, could the oil not get out or be leaking out?
Not necessarily. Boat ramps are probably the #1 cause of water in differentials. The second is flooding. In both cases, they will let water in, but still hold gear oil. Usually the water comes in the vent. The off road guys will run their vent tubes as high as they can, in order to keep them from taking on water during mud runs and when driving through creeks. Every one I have seen with water in it, the gear oil is milky.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Absolutely!! There is no way it would get covered with rust like that in a housing with gear oil and not turn the oil to GOOP!!
That last pic has a nice spot of muddy goop sitting on the floor.

·
Banned
444 Posts
Usually the water comes in the vent. The off road guys will run their vent tubes as high as they can, in order to keep them from taking on water
Ah, I forgot about the vent, brain fart sometimes. I may-need to move mine up, for those boat ramps.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i would think the dealership would have captured the oil in question to bolster their claim of the diff having water in it. Since they didn't i would guess that the oil wasn't showing "chocolate milk". They didn't save the oil in that case because it wouldn't go with their story of the diff being contaminated with water. If it was a minimal amout of water, the water would cook out of the oil during heavy use (such as pulling that trailer you speak of etc) provided that the vent line is open and clear etc. Even the flange where the backing plates attach is rusted! I think this diff sat partially assembled at the plant and rusted before it was finally assembled and installed into your truck. Good luck! :tu:

thanks again guys, (retired wrench), your input is appreciated
still waiting for the truck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts