Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, having a issue removing my rear shocks. I just replaced the front struts and after replacing the fronts I assumed the rears would be a breeze. Well not so much! Have a 2007 Limited with the airbag suspension. The rear is supported on the frame with jack stands so the rear end assembly can move down. I removed the lower shock bolt and the nut on top of the shock is not visible between the frame rail and wheel well. The nut is above the frame rail and I cannot get to it. All I can see is the shock bushing. What am I missing? How do I access the top of the nut? I am not a mechanic by any stretch but I do like to try and work on my sequoia when possible so please be kind if it's something simple. 馃榾

Registered
I just did mine this morning and feel like I should offer some pointers while it's fresh in my memory. If yours is rusty take it somewhere and let them fight it. If not:

-you do not have to jack up anything
-start with the passenger side ( can get two hands up there )
-ratcheting box end 17mm a must
-soak bolts/nuts in WD-40 or something the day before ( I do that when I order my parts online so it's ready when they arrive)
-put wrench on nut first and spin the shock so you can orient the flat sides of the shock rod to your vise grips
-lock on vise grips and use wrench to break free-keep loosening and the nut will push the vice grips off as it rises.
-bottom bolt is self explanatory
-use a rubber mallet to bang the shock off the lower mounting pin and it ( the whole shock) will fall out
-assemble replacement shock bushing(1) and washers (2) and compress shock completely by leaning on it
-quickly put shock in facing up and use the mallet again to bang it on to the lower pin (I used a little grease on mine ) and then point the top up so that it goes through the hole as the shock slowly expands to it's extended length. Put the bushing and two washers on top correctly (pay attention to factory setup) and then tighten the bolt
-neither top or bottom is torqued all that tight-both broke free using ratcheting box end but be sure to get them nice and tight on reassembly
-I tightened the top one until I had a comparable amount of threads above the nut to the factory shock
-I used KYB off of Rockauto for $37 each. Rides great. I put 5100's on the front a cpl weeks ago and I'm definitely happy with the pairing. This took me 40 minutes for the first side and 25 for the other side. I did driver side first not knowing that it's easier on the passenger side and helps you get a little practice. It is an easy shock job and I think the people from the rust belt are scaring others into putting it off. ( I'm not a mechanic btw-just a diy'er ) I barely even got dirty lol.
~Bolden~
Enjoy-Bolden

Registered
Oh yeah-I chose the KYB because they and Tokico originally manufactured shocks for 1st gen Sequoias. Unsure about other models but positive about that so I figured their replacements would be valved appropriately and like I said-rides great. My factory shocks were Tokico as it turns out-says right on them. My Sequoia is an '02 with 130k on it btw-rust free Texas car thankfully.

Registered
Oh yeah-I chose the KYB because they and Tokico originally manufactured shocks for 1st gen Sequoias. Unsure about other models but positive about that so I figured their replacements would be valved appropriately and like I said-rides great. My factory shocks were Tokico as it turns out-says right on them. My Sequoia is an '02 with 130k on it btw-rust free Texas car thankfully.
What year was yours? I don't think the kyb you get from toyota is the same as the kyb you get else where. For example 48530-80105 is kyb made Toyota oem rear shock for 03 and 04 both limited and sr5. It has rubber boot and looks totally different than the ones with metal shroud by Tokico. According to the pictures on fsm oem kyb rear shocks are auto level ones and are not supposed to and actually can't be compressed when installing. I had to drop the rear axle to get them installed and had a really hard time.

Registered

Did mines today. Replace shocks and rear air bags. Went straight to the angle grinder. Was not even trying to mess around. Best decision ever. 20 mins a side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Jav_Bez
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing