Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on replacing rear shocks on a 2012 4x4 double cab. I have searched around and even read one post where the person said if you do the rear then you have to do the front as well.

I don't have a lift, the front is fine and Im just looking to replace the rear because the driver side shock is shot. Are there any better options than just factory OEM but within OEM specs? I use the truck as a daily driver when it rains and will be towing a camper next year but I do have a weight distribution hitch.

Would the Bilstein 4600 series be comparable and still keep me within stock specs?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Would the Bilstein 4600 series be comparable and still keep me within stock specs?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
I do not see the price being out of line for Icon 2.0 Aluminum Series Shocks. Especially when these shocks can be re-built after 40k miles.

0"-3" lift would keep you well within "spec".
These shocks are vehicle specific. Icon builds these shocks when you order them and will work with you on the valving for the particular driving characteristics you are looking for.

IMO much better than any 4600 series from Bilstien.
Call Icon and ask for Scott.

http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop/618-toyota-tundra-20-aluminum-shocks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the recommendation. One thing I thought of while doing research was if maybe an adjustable shock like the Bilstein 5100's could be an option and I could adjust stiffness when hauling the camper.

Another questions is that are there any issues will only replacing the rear with the Bilstein 5100's and keeping the front stock for now since they are still fine.

·
8,497 Posts
I replaced my stock rear shocks with the Icon VS 2.5 Series PBR Rear Shocks w/ CDCV (0-1.5" Lift). They have the adjustable compression damping you might find of benefit when towing (I'd also suggest air bags).

I got 'em on sale for $1,000 during their Black Friday Sale last Thanksgiving. 4Wheel Parts installed 'em for $75.

Highly recommend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts