Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if we should deactivate the rear side airbags when kids ride in the back seat , is that what the rscb button on the bottom left dash is for .

When should it be tound off and can it injure the kids?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
No you should not

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
The Rc has the switch because it lacks a back seat for car seats. I don't think the side curtains have the same force. they are to protect roll over versus a head on

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
rcsb button is for preventing accidental deployment when off roading at extreme angles...its in the manual if you get bored and wanna read it. :)

as far as side airbags etc...the only airbags that are dangerous to kids are the front airbags the side ones dont come out and meet your face like the fronts do...they only provide a coushion in the already open area beside the body to protect that sort of movement... kids should be very safe in the tundra backseat...just dont use the front seat...i know our airbags have the seat sensors that turn the airbags off if theres not enough weight but its still not safe to do so....

·
Registered
135 Posts
rcsb button is for preventing accidental deployment when off roading at extreme angles...its in the manual if you get bored and wanna read it. :)

as far as side airbags etc...the only airbags that are dangerous to kids are the front airbags the side ones dont come out and meet your face like the fronts do...they only provide a coushion in the already open area beside the body to protect that sort of movement... kids should be very safe in the tundra backseat...just dont use the front seat...
Agreed :tu:

i know our airbags have the seat sensors that turn the airbags off if theres not enough weight but its still not safe to do so....
Seat sensor is a bit too "sensitive" for my tastes. My puppy will set off the "ding ding ding" when he's in the front seat. Laptop bag and dinner for tonight does the same thing. Normally I strongly discourage any sort of disabling of safety reminders, but I might have to make an exception. My "Light-weight passengers" are about the same build.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Agreed :tu:

Seat sensor is a bit too "sensitive" for my tastes. My puppy will set off the "ding ding ding" when he's in the front seat. Laptop bag and dinner for tonight does the same thing. Normally I strongly discourage any sort of disabling of safety reminders, but I might have to make an exception. My "Light-weight passengers" are about the same build.

My 20 lb dog would set off the ding and then it would quit then she would move and start it all over
but the airbag indicator stayed in the off position. the ding and airbag are different weights.
I had the ding for both sides shut off by the dealer

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
RSCA is the Roll Side Curtain Airbags. And yes, it is for the side slopes in which you would not want your airbags to deploy.

I think Tink said it right. The side bags don't deploy with a force AT you so much as a deploying force to protect from class and basically act as a cushion.

-rockstate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts