Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of doing my system install, as the pieces come in. They are all delayed cause of the stupid snow! I just got my Back up camera a boyo vtk350. I want to flush mount it to the truck, but I want it center. I came up with possibly mounting it in the middle of my license plate, that way I dont have to drill into my truck. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
google it. i did it since im diong a backup cam on mine too....lots of people have done it in the black area just to the side of the LP, its not dead center but close enough. the OEM camera isnt dead center either. plus thats another place if u have the right style, u can flush mount it into the handle where the stock one would be- directly opposite of the key hole. some of the non flush mount guys have put them on little brackets over on the trailer wiring area, but i think the most innovative one i saw was on a titan, fabricated a small piece of metal to mount it directly above the trailer hitch....

examples

second one from cubby cam's website...

anyway google it but dont specify tundra and u can get lots and lots of ideas

·
Registered
24 Posts
What kind of back up cam system did you buy? You can't beat the toyota system on Sparks website. It's to simple to install and works flawlessly.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
What kind of back up cam system did you buy? You can't beat the toyota system on Sparks website. It's to simple to install and works flawlessly.
you can beat it by price by a long shot. i'll be posting mine up when i get it delivered....so far its somewhere with UPS.....

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
can't wait to see that

·
Registered
375 Posts
this is what im plannin to do also. i dont mind drillin a new hole as long as it was just in the bumper. not the tailgate or anythin like that. i would go oem, but i want to be able to use my camera to see directly behind me while im driving if i need to, not just angled pointin down a few feet behind like the oem one does. but i really do like the bracket idea. i might have to try that. thanks for those pix.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
oh yeah, and plus, the toyota one is discontinued so u have to go with rostra if u want plug n play...so u cant buy the toyota one no mo.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up drilling next to the license plate in the plastic. There was a metal brace in the middle of the plate. I got the boyo vtk350 with night vision. Will post pics once the system is complete. Waiting for the amp from UPS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts