Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I just bought the new Pioneer Avic D3 Navigation System, and I was just wondering if any has bought an after market Navigation System w/rear view camera... and if so where did you mount the camera? And how much was installation if done professionally? Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am curious about this as well. I just ordered my AVIC D3 with RVC from Crutchfield. I am planning on installing it myself with a buddy. Do you have the factory JBL system? Did you order the Bluetooth kit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I just have the 6 Disc in dash changer. No I was going wait and order the Bluetooth Kit, I got the steering wheel controls adapter. There looks like a space right above the license plate (a square opening) maybe could mount to peek through that hole????

·
Registered
19 Posts
there's someone on this forum that has a rear camera mounted on the license plate light frame....his pics are hosted on cardomain...lemme see if i can find a link...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 and mounted the camera on the license plate frame - works well there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
"There looks like a space right above the license plate (a square opening) maybe could mount to peek through that hole????"

I believe that the hole you are referring to is the access to the spare tire winch ... I may be wrong.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think I've decided to scrap the free pioneer rear view camera in favor of the BOYO VTL300 license plate cam. I've heard good things about it from other AVIC owners, and I'm sure it will be much easier to integrate for obvious reasons. I hoping I can just sell the pioneer cam and pretty much cover the cost of the BOYO cam.

I just received my Scosche dashkit and one of the little snap tabs on bottom corner is broken off.:mad: Here's to hoping the seller I got it from on eBay will exchange it. Keep me posted on your install mjp0013.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone.. Very helpful:ts:. I may do the same thing as you BRAVO, I'll let you know how things go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I mounted mine in the tailgate handle assembly area kind of like the new tundras, so far it working good. Its a kenwood camera ccd-900 but it looks identical to the new pioneer backup cam.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I mounted mine in the tailgate handle assembly area kind of like the new tundras, so far it working good. Its a kenwood camera ccd-900 but it looks identical to the new pioneer backup cam.
Got any pictures of your install? How did you mount it there?

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's a pic of my AVIC D3 installed in case anyone is interested. I did it on Friday evening. I modded it so I can watch DVDs and use the Nav while the vehicle is in motion.:devil: This was my first headunit install, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. It's an awesome unit. I'm still waiting on the rear view cam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The handle asembly is held in by two screws, but first you have to remove the tailgate bedliner. Then i took the handle out of its housing(small flat screw driver and pryed it out) into two peices. I had to cut a few notches for the wires and camera so it wouldnt get pinched. To mount it in I actually just used the small bracket it came with screwed it to that and epoxyed the bracket to the plastic. Mounting it up high gets rid of the glare from the license plate lights. One thing I should of did though is put some locktite on the screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you're talking about the reverse wire, you can find it under the driver's side plastic door sill panel. It's red with a white stripe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts