Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the standard rear view mirror, and I was woundering if anyone has swapped it out for the auto-dim one. I tried the search, but it is not working for me right now.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yes. .

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
My 2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 came with the stock manual rear view mirror. In our 4runner we had the auto dimming mirror, and loved it. I went to our dealer and inquired about the auto dimming mirror and installation. They sold the mirror sor $220.62 but it called for an 1.5hrs of labor which equated to about $125 extra dollars. I debated with them this was very high and was told there was much work that needed to be done to install.

I decided to buy the mirror and install myself:

1. Remove the 4 t-20 torque screws from the overhead console.
2. Remove the 1 t-20 torque screw from the old rear view mirror, and remove mirror sliding up off the windshield mount.
3. Slide the new mirror on the same mount and tighten the t-20 scew.
4. The prewired plug in is right in front of you when you removed the overhead console, remove and feed through the already cut out hole in the headliner.
5. Attach the cord cover to the rearview mirror and slide the our end into the headliner hole.
6. "Re-install the overhead console with the 4 screws.
7. Refer to the owners manual to calibrate the compass, and to use the homelink system.
8. Start to finish time including calibration of the compass...........

12 minutes

·
Registered
3 Posts
should one really have to disconnect the batt?? or is that just an ocd/anal toyota install instruction?

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I too had the regular mirror. I bought the auto-dim mirror off of ebay for $75.00 and installed myself. You DO NOT have to disconnect the battery. Your truck is already pre-wired for this. The wire/plug assembly is in already there in place. Just plug-n-play! :D One of the best, cheapest, upgrades ever because you have the Compass built in, the Home Link system built in and the Auto Dimming feature.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have the 07 Tundra. I purchased the OEM factory mirror w/ compass and home link on ebay. $175.00
But when I removed the overhead console to install the mirror, the only plug that would work with the mirror connector plug was the plug I disconnected from the console. Which powers the overhead lights. The mirror did NOT power up or anything. Is there a go between plug or another plug I need to buy? What should I try next?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I did my 2008 DC with an ebay mirror. And it went as described as above, but took a bit longer when I dropped one of the torx screws down into the open rear cup holder.

Lesson learned, close the cup holder first. And I didn't disconnect the battery.

JR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts