Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was rotating the tires today and when torquing the one of the rears one of the stud broke. I couldn't find a torque spec for them so I guessed 90ft-lbs. This one went way before that. How difficult is it to replace one of these? I've not done on on the Tundra before. Or if I take it to the shop (need to take care of my Rust Recall) what would they typically charge? This is a 2000 4x4.

Thanks, and btw the search feature wasn't working, just pulled blank pages.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I replaced the studs on my left rear the other day and you'll need to have a 3lb brass mallet to knock them out after you soak them with wd40 or pb blaster. All 6 can be knocked out without turning the hub however the top one will require that you push the top brake spring back just a little to get it in. The wheels are supposed to torqued to 83 ft lbs as tortis stated. Put the lug nuts on the hub without the drum in place and tighten them up as much as you can then put the drum on and tighten them up to pull the studs through the rest of the way. Then you can remount your wheel and you should be good. Just check back in a couple of days to make sure that the lug nuts are still tight and you should be good.

·
Registered
167 Posts
When installing the new bolt, get a whole stack of washers that will allow you to create a "puller" out of the lug nut - just keep adding them as needed until it's snug. Then put the drum back on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Got it done. $25 at NAPA for a new stud & nut plus a backup set for the F & R. I'm sure much cheaper then taking it to the shop.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Goodluck with your stud replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts