Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, neighbors knocked on my door today to let me know my window imploded while they were shoveling next door. we just had 30 plus inches of snow fall on us here in VA and the sun was out all day. i assume the cab heated up and caused the window to implode. there was small amount of ice and snow on the base of the window, but that's it...anyone ever heard of this happening?

in addition i called the ins company and they are sending safelite auto out to repair it...i m not sure safelite can install a new rear window on a tundra dc that moves vertically...i warned them that it was an electric window, but they said no prob....we'll see.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I doubt it imploded, the cabs have vents in them and any pressure should have equalized between the cab and the outside. Also, if the cab heated up, the window would actually explode, since increasing heat would build up pressure inside the cab.

The snow contacting the window with some changing temps could have caused some stress in the glass at some weak point and shattered the window. Or if some particle hit the window, or bird, that could cause it to break as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in Maine = lots of snow and cold, and never hear of that happening. I would see if the neighbors might have picked up a rock with a snow blower...

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I had a windshield break on a car once in a similar situation, car was buried in snow, sun came out, top of the glass was warm bottom still had ice on it, cracked all to hell. The car was well away from anyone or anything that could have bothered it. The rear glass is likely tempered not laminated safety glass like a windshield so it could just blow apart if stressed by temp. differences. Scott

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, for your own info, although safelite is most likely the cheapest. i assume you called around. there is a huge reason. they use very cheap glass. i can't count how many people used them , & the glass cracked again. they use a common cause. rusted frame., weak body, etc... for your info: this is what they tell there customers.
you get what you pay for.
good luck, i hope you have zero issue's.
you will notice if you look on a angle that the glass has more waves than the ocean.
it is very thin, compared to OEM. but it's you ride, do as you see fit.
they also have many issue's with leaks. than they will tell you ,that you didn't give the seal time to cure(get hard & settle).
i truely hope it works out.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I have to agree with Gorilla. Safelite makes their own brand of glass. As for windshield their glass sux big time (more waves then ocean for sure). I am not sure about rear window though.

I used little company, and they replaced my window with factory windshield. On top of that, insurance covered full bill.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I find it hard to believe that tempered glass would explode without anything hitting it or sudden temperature changes. Thats probably one out of million cases. I have poured water in winter to defrost the glass - first cold, then luke warm cause it had 1" of ice on it. No problems (knock on wood). Tempered explodes if hit by rock etc, but i highly doubt that sun could heat it up so fast that it would explode because snow was on the bottom of it :confused: and +1 on no pressure build up inside - its impossible because of the vents. But what do i know maybe it happens sometimes. Just never heard of it...

·
Banned
1,363 Posts
I find it hard to believe that tempered glass would explode without anything hitting it or sudden temperature changes. Thats probably one out of million cases. I have poured water in winter to defrost the glass - first cold, then luke warm cause it had 1" of ice on it. No problems (knock on wood). Tempered explodes if hit by rock etc, but i highly doubt that sun could heat it up so fast that it would explode because snow was on the bottom of it :confused: and +1 on no pressure build up inside - its impossible because of the vents. But what do i know maybe it happens sometimes. Just never heard of it...
This is not the first thread posted about the rear window shattering like this on the 2006 models. It happened to one of my friends 06 Tundra and several others on here. Keep searching...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I had it happen to this morning my back glass shattered and blow out ward it's was a little cold out no snow or anything like that just had her running with the heater on it had just started to warm up wasn't hot yet still cold in the cab and I got out and and grabbed some thing got back in shut the door and boom out she went I think it's some freak temp. thing and then me shutting the door must have set it off the temperature change makes it shatter I guess but it's the 2nd time in my life my windows have explored on me once in my old nissan driving on the freeway about 530am and my driver side glass exploded on me I thought some one shot at me for a second but their was no one around me at the time and I had just came out of a hell storm then it cleared up and boom don't think I have ever been that shaken or startled before I was wide awake for Shure after that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts