Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 Corolla has always had an issue with the back windows squealing like a stuck pig when you put them up or down.:confused: They don't do it in the rain. And no I don't open them in the rain. :eek:. But for troubleshooting purposes I did try it. I've tried all sorts of lubricants to try and let them slide easier. But nothing works. Has any else had this sort of problem?

Thanks for your help with this.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have you checked out the weather stripping (aka channels) for dust or little rock particles? That may be causeing the screeching noise, especially since it doenst do it in the rain. Just a little idea! Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my Corolla. Mine is also a 1997. I searched the web and came across this posting from RICorolla. I tried some spray silicone on the channels in the door frame with no success. But, I did find the problem and fixed it, it didn't take long and only cost a couple of bucks.

The noise is coming from a wheel that rides along the track when the window is raised or lowered. It needs to be greased so you have to take the door panel off. This is not difficult. Gently tug on the outer edges of the panel to loosen. There is one screw for the door handle and two more for the behind the armrest. You'll have to pry off the pad on the top of the armrest to get to those screws. There is also one black plastic pushpin-type (like a pop rivet) on the rear of the door. When all of the perimeter is loose, unscrew the four screws on the backside of the panel if it has power windows and feed the switch through the hole in the panel and let it hang. If your's has manual windows, you'll have to remove the window crank. The door handle and trim takes some effort to remove. The back of the handle will reveal hooks that clip into the door frame (you'll see it when it's removed). To remove the handle and trim, lift one edge and then pull it forward. When it's loosened, you can turn the handle 90 degrees and feed it through the hole in the door panel. You do not need to remove that retaining clip regardless of what other sites recommend. I didn't have to. Just let the handle hang in place. By now, the door panel should be removed and frame should be exposed.

At the hole at the bottom of door frame, cut the plastic on three sides with a razor. Make the cut larger than the hole in the door so when you tape it back together, you'll have the door frame as a firm backing when retaping the pieces. (I didn't do that with the first one as shown in pic.) With the window in the lowered position, you'll have easy access to the wheel and track that need to be greased. I used white lithium grease but you can use any all purpose grease. Spread the grease liberally along the track and the outer edges that come in contact with the wheel. Raise the window slightly to get access to where the wheel was just positioned. The grease will not come in contact with the window nor will it be seen when everything is put back together so don't skimp on the grease.

It's been a year and a half since you posted RICorolla. I hope you receive this and it's helpful for you too.

keywords: squeal, screech, squeak, scratch, noise, loud, window

1 - 3 of 3 Posts