Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was riding in the city at about thirty miles per hour in my Sequoia with my little girl in the back. She rolled down the rear window an right away the car started to tremble all over as if you were in a chopper or somthing. It made the same sound as those old military choppers I used to ride when I was fling in the service. Anyone felt this. Any answers. Please help don't think I can live with this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you crack open another window this "chopper-like" sound should go away. Many of us have felt it also, but it has been described quite well somewhere in this forum and on edmunds. Others have said it is common to vehicles with solid build and air tightness, like the Seq.

Hope this helps

quote: Originally posted by tjones:

The other day I was riding in the city at about thirty miles per hour in my Sequoia with my little girl in the back. She rolled down the rear window an right away the car started to tremble all over as if you were in a chopper or somthing. It made the same sound as those old military choppers I used to ride when I was fling in the service. Anyone felt this. Any answers. Please help don't think I can live with this.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
ditto on what OAC said! if you crack open another window, usually front, this should help stop the chopper sound go away. also, don't open the sunroof to the fullest because at 30-40mph (if i remember correctly) it will cause the sunshade to bang violently against the headliner. just giving you a heads up.

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
It may not just be the headliner. While test driving a Sequoia my son rolled down the rear window and we experienced the buffeting. I noticed the headliner moving up and down and put my hand up to see if the headliner was loose. It wasn't. The whole roof was actually oil canning up and down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmm...never had the sunshade rattle like that? Do you think yours may be loose? I cruise with the sunroof open all the way sometimes and had never noticed this.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Bad_Knees,

if you go beyond the auto open button it will do this. if you press the button after it stops you can actually go approx 3 inches further until the whole sunroof is completely gone. this will cause the flapping. i believe it even states this in the manual. try it today, it sounds like the whole headliner is gonna come down on ya!

Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
This problem isn't unique to the Sequoia. I've seen it in numerous auto rentals (I travel a lot) and my prior SUV, a '96 Chevy Blazer, also did it. It usually occurred when the rear window is lowered a bit with all the other windows up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dgraves,

I doubt very seriously that the Sequoia was "oilcanning"... it is stronger structurally than that. I'm sure that the headliner was bouncing back and forth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts