Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Tundra access cab w/ 200000 miles. whenever i am coasting, I hear a terrible clucking growling noise coming from my rearend. I have been told by some it is my pinion gear. I something that can be repaired, or should i find a good used rearend and just replace? I have found some used ones between 450 and 900 dollars. Also how do I find out my trucks ratio?

·
Registered
524 Posts
To figure out your ratio you can look up using your vin code or on the door jamb, I cant recall the exact website for it. Heres one where you mark the driveshaft and spin it: Erik's Toyota Differential info

If its growling the rear is probably toast anyways, replacing it with a used one is usually ok but a new one isnt much more.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I hear a terrible growling noise coming from my rearend.
:selfdestruct:Sorry, I had to do that.:D Mine has made a bit of a whine for some time now, I was concerned when I first noticed it but everything seems fine. It's been doing it for about a year, and I hardly baby my truck. I am not sure if there are any significant differences in rear ends from your year to mine. Good luck.

·
7,925 Posts
I have a 2001 Tundra access cab w/ 200000 miles. whenever i am coasting, I hear a terrible clucking growling noise coming from my rearend. I have been told by some it is my pinion gear. I something that can be repaired, or should i find a good used rearend and just replace? I have found some used ones between 450 and 900 dollars. Also how do I find out my trucks ratio?
Here is an easy way to check it. Get a very clean pan (like brand new). Clean the area around the drain bolt with some brake cleaner and let it dry. Put the very clean pan under the drain bolt, loosen the bolt, drain out a little fluid for a split second and then put the bolt back in right away so you do not drain out a lot of fluid. Examine the fluid. You are looking for shiny flecks or chunks of metal. The presence of this will mean your rear end is toast. If the flecks are silver in appearance it could be the oil splash shield has shifted and you may be alright. I have been running without mine for quite a while with no ill affects. If the flecks are darker then your gears are grinding for some reason. If there are chunks then your rear end is chewing itself to death and you may as well start looking for a new one.

Good luck to you and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I picked up a trd limited diff off ebay for 300 and had a 4x4 shop put it in for 450. Best $750 I've spent on the truck. All brgs/shims were in the kit.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
A couple of things may cause the noise you describe: 1) a bad bearing, or 2) the pinion nut has come loose and the pinion gear is moving in against the carrier on deceleration and you hear the grinding where the gear is chewing up the differential carrier as well as itself. If it is the pinion nut, and you catch it quickly enough, like within a very short time (immediately, or just a few minutes), you can re-torque the nut, drain and flush and replace the oil, and you may save the bearings. If you have been hearing it for a few days, at the very least you should replace the bearings and re-set the carrier and pinion; you might have to replace the gears, too, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts