Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this just happened. 2005 with 172,000 miles. Happened on start up after sitting for a few days. Shut down immediately. Assuming it threw a connecting rod. Can it be rebuilt or am I looking at replacement? Approximate cost of each? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
a little JB weld oughta fix that right up! on a serious note, i dont have any dollar estimates but i would seriously consider swapping one from a donor sequioa. given the reliability of these engines, i would almost be almost tempted to pick a used one that was built by toyota, to toyotas specs with toyota genuine parts as opposed to someone rebuilding it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
BUMMER! Go shopping. Rebuilding for me is a temptation just because I like to tinker. BUT, reality is that these engines for me with all that confounded extra plumbing, wires, sensors and computerized trinkets is out of my "back yard build an old Ford Flathead from a pile of parts" skill level. So much special tooling and equipment to get it all dialed in. Not to mention the "new" issues you will find along the way. All makes the cash register go crazy.
My suggestion, buy a rebuilt and if they don't want your core you can always tinker on it later. That's the opinion of a 74 year old guy who has watched the cash register "cha-ching" to shocking levels. Most importantly, "enjoy the adventure"... Chap

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have learned that replacing the engine with a used engine is the cheapest route, but even then it is more money than the car is worth (min $6,500 since I don't do this kind of work). Sadly, this Sequoia will go no further unless someone wants to buy it for a project. If anyone here is interested please contact me. Otherwise I believe it will be going to a scrap yard. FYI - it is an SR5 rear wheel drive model

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have learned that replacing the engine with a used engine is the cheapest route, but even then it is more money than the car is worth (min $6,500 since I don't do this kind of work). Sadly, this Sequoia will go no further unless someone wants to buy it for a project. If anyone here is interested please contact me. Otherwise I believe it will be going to a scrap yard. FYI - it is an SR5 rear wheel drive model
What kind of condition otherwise? I'd put it on Craigslist and ask for like $2,000 or best offer. Lots of folks looking for parts trucks, etc. At the least, you might get more than the scrapyard will pay. May or may not be worth a shot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fair to good condition I think. It's had the usual Sequoia problems but was reliable. I have an offer of $650 towed away. There's no rush since I can't go anywhere so I might put it on CL. It's a shame - I was about to give it a front lift and bigger tires :(

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Not sure I understand. Are you saying you're getting quoted $6500 for someone to do an engine swap? That would be beyond my paygrade too but I am having a really hard time believing you would get charged that much money. I thought for sure I have read on here guys buying used engine for around a grand and having it installed for about half that. $1500 isnt cheap but still maybe the better way to go vs buying another vehicle.
There's lots of threads on this site already with guys that have done engine swaps. Maybe search some of those threads out to see where's the best place to get a used engine and who knows, maybe someone local to you can help you out with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure I understand. Are you saying you're getting quoted $6500 for someone to do an engine swap? That would be beyond my paygrade too but I am having a really hard time believing you would get charged that much money. I thought for sure I have read on here guys buying used engine for around a grand and having it installed for about half that. $1500 isnt cheap but still maybe the better way to go vs buying another vehicle.
There's lots of threads on this site already with guys that have done engine swaps. Maybe search some of those threads out to see where's the best place to get a used engine and who knows, maybe someone local to you can help you out with it.

Yes, I've had two quotes to replace it with a used engine. One was $6,500 and the other was over $7,000. The cheapest I can find used engines on the internet is about $2,500 plus shipping. At least half of the cost appears to be labor. It might be possible for someone with more time and skill to do this a lot cheaper. This was my daily driver so I would be hurting if I wasn't working from home. The transmission was starting to slip and rough shift so it was probably going to go fairly soon anyway. While I took care of this truck, I think perhaps the previous owner was not so diligent. Looking at TRD 4runners as possible replacement, but that's another forum...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since you aren't dead in the water without it, I would definitely list it on CL, OfferUp, etc for 2000-2500 before letting a salvage yard tow it off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you look hard enough and take your time, I am sure you can find a used engine for less than $2,000. OR you could rebuild it with all OEM parts. If it is your daily ride that'll be hard on you, if it's not just take your time, rebuild and have fun and a great experience!! My friend rebuilt his 2005 Tundra's engine himself, I helped a little. 20K miles later still running like a champ.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Add my name to those encouraging you to keep your lovely sequoia and source a low (as possible) mileage used engine. If you have a trusted ship/mechanic,ask them for help locating the engine and doing the swap. I'm a bit concerned that your Sequoia's original engine had a serious failure at only 177K miles. A properly maintained Toyota V-6 or V-8 engine should be good for 300K miles. When the swap is done, an "autopsy report" re the original engine would be interesting reading.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So this just happened. 2005 with 172,000 miles. Happened on start up after sitting for a few days. Shut down immediately. Assuming it threw a connecting rod. Can it be rebuilt or am I looking at replacement? Approximate cost of each? Thanks! View attachment 151826
First, I would not recommend rebuilding any motor that has suffered a catastrophic failure. Things that are broken cost money to replace. Engine blocks can crack and you will never know until you start it. Water and/or oil will be leaking into the crankcase... Money and time wasted.

These trucks are not common. Few people could afford them when new and, until very recently, few could justify the cost of driving them. I bought mine 'cause I happened to drive one once, and I loved it. I'm 70 and if I am to do what I want to do, now is the time...

When I bought mine the only problem it had was a growl in the rear end. I thought I would just buy a used pumpkin at a junk yard for cheap... W R O N G. And any scenario wherein you think you can just remove your motor and trans then install one from a junk yard is wrong, as well.

While it's true that the trusty 4.7 apperaed in lots of vehicles it was "trimmed" (the things that bolt onto the motor) very differently, from one vehicle to the next. You should put the motor you buy on an engine stand. Put your old motor on another, right next to it. Use your phone to take pics from every angle. Then make the new motor look EXACTLY like your old motor. This is a lot easier to do BEFORE you install the motor/trans/transfer case.

But you can do this. Yourself. If you want it bad enough.

I don't know who you are. I perceive your typical Sequoia driver (if there is such an animal) as JoeJoe Rich boy - not about to get any nasty grease under his fingernails... OR any awful oil stains on his pristine white driveway. If that's who you are, thing for you to do is sell the truck.

If you had a SR5 2x4 like mine changing the motor and trans would be a walk in the park - PROVIDED you got a motor and trans from the exact same truck. But yours is a limited and the 4x4 makes things a lot more difficult. A LOT more.

If you want this truck - really WANT it (read love the old thing), put a car cover over it. From what you said I presume you live where things aren't cheap - east coast, etc. Search facebook for "sequoia for sale." You may have to do a little driving (or flying). These trucks rust out. It's not hard to find one that runs great but has a bad frame. THERE is your opportunity. All it has to do is drive to your house...

From there, try to find someone that does mechanic work on the side...

You can do this, IF you want it. After all is said, done and spent, what you will have is what you had, the day before the motor puked. Think it over...

·
Registered
24 Posts
There’s plenty of wrecked ones on eBay. Some 4.7s are already pulled. Asking around a grand. Check and see if one of those yards is close to where you live.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good used pull outs are like $850-900 EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK.. i assume the other cost is labor.

Where exactly are you finding these prices?

What oil where you running?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts