Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and forums in general. Hope I’m posting in the right place

Situation: ‘05, Sequoia SR5, 2WD, iForce 4.7 L V8, 180k miles. With regular Maintenence, it ran beautifully since I bought it in ‘08 w/ 60k miles. Yesterday, with no warning, it dropped a valve seat into #1 cylinder and ruined the piston.

Shop scoped it, can see the debris, and #1 only holds 40% compression. All others are good. #1 plug electrode is bent in so assumption is seat debris got smashed and cracked/punched hole in piston. The only fix local pros will do is whole engine replace/rebuild and estimates are more than bluebook for the entire truck.

So... I’m considering pulling and having the head rebuilt or (buying a rebuild) and replacing the pistons and honing the cylinders on that side. I understand for the effort involved, it makes sense to do all the pistons on at least that side while I’m in there.

Questions:
- Can pistons be replaced and cylinders honed w/o pulling the whole engine on this model? I did this back in the day on a simple MG engine. But this ain’t no MG!

- If I have to pull the engine, I might as well rebuild/replace the whole thing?

- If so, am I back at square one with those costs exceeding the vehicle’s value?

- Used, non-rebuilt engines, w/100k or more, look to be going for $3-$6k online. Add at least $2k for the work and I’m looking at up to $7-8k.
AND... it’s a dice roll on the used engine.
AND... w/180k on the rest of the drive train, does any further investment make any sense?

I guess I’m still in Denial Phase of grief for my beloved Toy because everything else on her is solid. What a waste to scrap it over a single piston and some head work!

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited
215 Posts
Hate this for you, have had it happen on 2 4runners and a Honda odyssey. Vehicles in great condition otherwise, but a rod bearing and the cost of fixing/replacing is just too much. I went the road of parting out what I could and starting over with another vehicle. I've grown less and less attached as I've had to start over too many times. If you can afford it, keep it as you search for another and move over what you can, sell what you can't and then sell the body/frame. Both of my 4runners sold for $2500 without a running engine. Just had to wait on the right buyer

·
Registered
244 Posts
Would you feel comfortable doing the repair or engine replacement yourself? Doesn't seem practical to pay someone to do it. If you can take on the project shop around for a used 4.7. But before you buy the engine remove the head and see what may or may not be damaged.
I busted a piston ring one time on the way to a car show with my 52 Ford P/U . I shut the engine down immediately and had the truck towed home. Removed the head and had ring pieces on top of the piston but was amazed when there were no piston wall dings, scratches or damage. They don't make the blocks that tough anymore, but maybe you got lucky and can do a fix it instead of a total replacing of the engine. Hey it's worth a peek... Chap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. Been scouring the interwebs and some local shops (NOT cheap in my area! But are they anywhere??) Best case all I need is to rebuild a head (or both while I'm at it) But in central coast CA, I'm looking at around $3k for that.
I'm seeing entire remanufactured engines w/5 yr warranty going for $4-5k, delivered. Add $2k to have a shop put it in and maybe rebuild the trans while I'm at it (just 'cause it's old) and for for $7-8k, I'll have a Sequoia that should be good for another 150k miles or so. Used ones w/ similar miles and years are going for about that or even a little more right now. I figure If I buy used, I MIGHT save $2-3k... but I'll be rolling the dice again with no idea what kind of wear is going on deep inside.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sounds like you are looking at all the options. Used vehicles are outrageously expensive right now. Ask around and find an honest shop that can do the work for you. Remember those warrantied engines do not include the cost of having it removed and sent back to them if it ain't right??? Check for reviews on line. A new 4.7 should last 300k. Keep us posted... Enjoy the adventure... Chap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts