Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I contacted Toyota about the possibility of the front ball joints failing on the 2001 Sequoias; there was a recall for 2002 Sequoias. I purchased my 2001 recently and the person before me had her front end passenger side replaced due to a failed ball joint.

Toyota said that there's no recall for that problem for 2001's. I'd be surprise if this new problem gets extended to Sequoias.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What new problem are you referring to? If you are talking about your front ball joints, just have yours checked out and make sure they are okay.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I certainly hope so. My truck has 175k miles on it now - been great at least. However, I have become somewhat reluctant to tow things after I noticed how bad the rear of the frame is. Only the two main rails that flank both sides of the spare tire heading towards the back of the truck - rest of the frame is fine. But it looks like it could become an issue - you can actually stick your fingers up into the bottom of it the cracks are so large. I'll get pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You won't get anything unless you document that it is a problem. Take a look at my post from 2/9/2010 or file a complaint with the NHTSA:

If you have a corrosion issue and would like to issue a safety complaint, please visit the NHTSA website: ODI - Office of Defects Investigation

You can search for mine, it is complaint number 10307840.

Here is my complaint:

In NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V444000, Toyota recalled model year 2000-2003 Tundra Vehicles due to excessive corrosion of the rear cross member that may cause the separation of the spare tire. The 2000-2003 Toyota Sequoia vehicles share identical frame cross member and spare tire mounting arrangements in which excessive corrosion in the rear cross member and spare tire mounting location can cause separation of the spare tire stowed under the rear cargo load floor which would result in a road hazard. This separation of the spare tire or mounting bracket could cause a crash. Also, corrosion of the rear cross member could affect the rear brake lines and the proportioning valve, resulting in diminished braking capability. Any separation of the spare tire and/or diminished braking capability could increase the risk of crash to affected vehicle and/or a road hazard to those traveling nearby.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Recall on 2000-2003 Tundras - Frame corrosion could allow spare tires or gas tank to fall off the vehicle

Toyota recalling all 2000 to 2003 Tundras - Autos- msnbc.com

2001-2003 Sequoia's will get a recall notice too?

any one get a notice on this for our trucks ? i never did,kinda bothers me , i know there busy with the whole gas petal bs along with the floor mat **** . . . . watch now that im posting this i'll get one , or ones waiting in my P O box

·
Registered
503 Posts
You guys should have seen my 95 Pathfinder - 10 years in upstate new york... just wow lol. I just took these today of my 01 Sequoia with 178,000 miles. 5 years in up state new york, now in Florida.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts