Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and could not find anything relevant to my problem - So here goes.

I had my '08 Tundra LTD in for the accelerator pedal recall since my wife was nervous. Now that it has been "fixed" it is very difficult to control.

It feels to me that the "fix" removed all the friction in the pedal making it impossible to steadily accelerate, and most difficult to maintain a constant speed over repetitive potholes. I am regularly experiencing an amplification effect as I go over closely spaced potholes which makes the truck go faster and faster.

Am I nuts? The dealer says the "fix" should have not changed the friction at all. Before I spend a couple hours to get it to be "looked at" I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.

If I can't get this fixed I am going to go nuts. I love the strong motor to be there when I need it, but I do not need to get up to 60 on a pothole ridden street in the City.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
There are several here that have commented on the same thing but for the life of me I cannot find the posts. You are not alone brother. I still have not done the recall even though the old lady keeps asking about it. I asked her how many tundras had been involved in the "unintended acceleration" and she said she had not heard anything on the news other than camry and prius

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm one of the people that posted in an earlier thread about having the recall done and then experiencing a very light and touchy accelerator pedal. My dealer didn't want to do anything about it and told me to call corporate so I did. They had the dealer install a new pedal assembly and now my truck is back to the way it was before the recall/shim fix.

I searched and could not find anything relevant to my problem - So here goes.

I had my '08 Tundra LTD in for the accelerator pedal recall since my wife was nervous. Now that it has been "fixed" it is very difficult to control.

It feels to me that the "fix" removed all the friction in the pedal making it impossible to steadily accelerate, and most difficult to maintain a constant speed over repetitive potholes. I am regularly experiencing an amplification effect as I go over closely spaced potholes which makes the truck go faster and faster.

Am I nuts? The dealer says the "fix" should have not changed the friction at all. Before I spend a couple hours to get it to be "looked at" I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.

If I can't get this fixed I am going to go nuts. I love the strong motor to be there when I need it, but I do not need to get up to 60 on a pothole ridden street in the City.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got my recall taken care of yesterday and also have the problem of no friction on the gas pedal since the "fix". In other threads it sounds like some people aren't having this problem after getting the recall done.

I read a copy of the recall and the way I understand it is the dealer takes a measurement of the clearance in the gas pedal and installs the shim of the appropriate thickness. It appears they have 7 of different thickness to choose from.

My guess right now is that those of us with a frictionless gas pedal after the recall was completed had a dealer who installed too thick of a shim in the gas pedal causing too much clearance and in the process taking away the healthy friction that gives pedal feel.

I called the "Toyota Customer Experience Center" at 1800-331-4331 and was informed that anyone who is not happy with the recall after it has been accomplished is welcome to a replacement pedal when they are available.

In my opinion the dealer probably could take the pedal apart and try to find the correct thickness of shim to give pedal resistance, but then I may be back to having possible troubles with a sticking pedal if they give me too much friction.

Based on that opinion, I talked to my dealer and told them I will drive the truck until the replacement pedal assy's are available and at that time if the pedal doesn't feel better by then, I will accept the replacement pedal assy. I have no idea how long it will take to get a replacement pedal assy though...

·
Registered
50 Posts
having the same problem, i will try and get a replacement pedal to i agree no need to do 60 over potholes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Same problem here. When accelerating form a stop I look like an idiot with my truck lurching until I reach cruising speed. I find I need to have my foot against the console to get some resistance and provide a smoother take off.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
This is exactly why I don't want to have the recall done, but having my family in the truck all the time makes me feel like I have to get it done. I wonder if there are people that have had the recall done and didn't notice a difference??

·
Registered
143 Posts
I too had the recall done and the pedal is really touchy. I worry about off-roading or pulling a boat up the launch ramp. I am going to try for a whole new pedal assembly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I called the dealer that did mine with the same complaint, they sent a tech to my work to investigate, he agreed it was loose and they are ordering a new pedal for me as well...

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I had a hunch this was going to be a problem for those who had the shim installed. I'm willing to bet the dealers are erring on the side of less friction. If the recall is done properly, you shouldn't notice any difference in pedal feel - one of my friends had it done to his truck and it felt the same as before.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Had the recall done yesterday and my pedal is way too light now. I can't rest my foot lightly against the pedal without accelerating like before the recall. Hope I don't have a problem at the boat ramp.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the recall is done properly, you shouldn't notice any difference in pedal feel - one of my friends had it done to his truck and it felt the same as before.
Count me too. I can feel no change at all. My service adviser said that he had 2 that complained about the change of sensitivity. The dealer is asking you to drive it for a week 1st before bring it back. Neither one returned.

I get free synthetic oil changes for life - coffee is included.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
This is exactly why I don't want to have the recall done, but having my family in the truck all the time makes me feel like I have to get it done. I wonder if there are people that have had the recall done and didn't notice a difference??
I was one of the first people on these forums to have the fix done, and I did not notice anything. I am very in tune with each one of my vehicles, and I can tell you that the performance of my Sequoia was unchanged.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
LAME im sooo glad i left mine alone. I might just go to toyota and tell them straight up i want a new pedal assembly. But on the other hand i have 30000k miles on my truck and i have never had a problem, at pismo beach, at the track, in traffic, and just straight speeding.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Same, less friction and had to get used to it. Only took a day or so to get used to it, no problems though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
wow.. I thought it was just me. I have only had the truck a week. When I bought it the dealer had the recall done before I took delivery. I am going to see if I can get my local Toyota dealer to replace the pedal as I hate the way it lurches when I accelerate. Same as the others, I have to rest my foot upside the console to steady it.

Andy

08 DC SR5 w/TRD...oh.. and it's black

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just had the shim fix done and thought the drive back to work was pretty smooth. My pedal is actually smoother than it was before and easier to control. I was having throttle control issues prior to the fix, it never got stuck or anything, but a smooth take off from the light was all but impossible. This is why I decided to try the fix, I figured it couldn't hurt. Maybe my truck was one of those that would have eventually wound up with a stuck throttle and I've saved myself a bunch of grief.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mine is so loose that going over bumps of any kind causes my foot to move the pedal in and out... there is no takeup slack in the pedal at all anymore. There is no "easing into it" off of the line. You push it in and nothing, nothing, nothing, peel out! I gave it a week of driving and I really just don't like it. I can't drive for more than 20min at a time or my leg is so tired from constantly controlling and feathering the pedal. I wouldn't have bought this truck if it drove anything like this on the test drive... but I know they are going to fix it so I'm not really mad about it at all, just annoyed that I have to go through this because of some stupid other drivers.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I think replacing the pedal assembly is the way to go as the results from the shim insert are inconsistent at best.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts