Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a 2004 Tundra reg cab v6 with a 5 speed stick with 68k miles. I am the second owner and have only put about 12k miles on it. I am having a few problems with it and I need to know if any of it directly relates to any maintenance that was not performed that I should perform now? Should I look into getting new plugs and injectors? What seems like the most probable culprit(s)? What all should I do to get this thing up and running great?
Symptoms;
-Rough Idle, minor shaking.
-Squeal while idling.
-Cannot get over 310 miles to a tank.
-While in 4th, I can hear what sounds like rushing water/hydrolic sounds. (make sense?)
-Now makes similar sound in 5th.
I want this thing to be treated like a king! What all should I do? Thanks guys:)

·
Registered
910 Posts
I believe plug change is scheduled at 30K? If so, changing plugs could help the idle issue. Also, cleaning the throttle body could help.

The squeal at idle could be a worn serpentine belt. At 68K miles, not a bad idea to change it. $25 at most parts stores.

The fuel economy issue could be due to poor tune....or driving habits...or weather conditions...or improperly inflated tires....

Don't have any help for the other sounds you are talking about.

If this were my truck, I would do all of the regular maintenance items at one shot and get them out of the way. This includes:

Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, Belt, Flush Cooling System, Flush Brake Fluid, Adjust Rear Drum Brakes, Gearbox Fluid Change, Rear-end Fluid Change, Power Steering Fluid Flush, Throttle Body Cleaning, and run Techron FI cleaner through the system.

Get all that done then re-assess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok looks like I am heading to PepBoys in a lil bit. But I have a few questions still. Where is the fuel filter and how do I replace it? I am going to replace the belt but where is the tensioner? Looks like it will take a 10mm to get the plugs out on the pass. side. The wires look fine but should I replace them anyways? I will be cleaning the throttle body with the proper cleaner. And I will be running some seafoam through the system. Along with cleaning the K&N filter. Thank you for the input guys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
-While in 4th, I can hear what sounds like rushing water/hydrolic sounds. (make sense?)
I want this thing to be treated like a king! What all should I do? Thanks guys:)
If this is a 3.4L, this maybe that dieseling sound that my 3.4L tacoma use to make when trying to accelerate in 4th gear. It is not harmful by any means. I was told it was designed to help fuel economy on the highway. But I solved it by getting a V-8 :D

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hey guys! I have a 2004 Tundra reg cab v6 with a 5 speed stick with 68k miles. I am the second owner and have only put about 12k miles on it. I am having a few problems with it and I need to know if any of it directly relates to any maintenance that was not performed that I should perform now? Should I look into getting new plugs and injectors? What seems like the most probable culprit(s)? What all should I do to get this thing up and running great?
Symptoms;
-Rough Idle, minor shaking.
-Squeal while idling.
-Cannot get over 310 miles to a tank.
1. Plugs, air cleaner, fuel filter, fuel injector cleaner?
2.Squeal could be serpintine belt or timing belt tensioner or idler bearing?
3. 310 miles is not too much under what should be expected
4. Burn some premium gas after ya get a loan to buy it!!
5. minor shaking sounds like tire wear,balance/alignment issue! was Ball Joints Replaced for recall recently? Been doing tire rotations at 5K miles??
6. rushing water?? check for air leaks on Throttle body hoses or cracks!!
7. Toyota Parts and Service not saying go do all this stuff at dealership but if this is what they reccomend i would look hard before it snowballs further! Toyotas are reliable but who ever said all ya gotta do is just drive it has not had it snowball yet and is just asking for it! snow ball ismy terminology for minor maintenance, Timing belts, water pumps, tranny fluids, just stuff that adds up$$$ over a period of time!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts