Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a packet in the mail from Toyota over the weekend that included a new warranty/maintenance guide and a letter. The letter basically states my 2010 Tundra is 'certified' for synthetic 0W-20 oil. It talks about the advantages of the oil and emphasizes that 10,000/1 year oil change intervals are now recommended. Anyone else receive this letter? I wonder if I can continue my 5,000 mile oil changes that I get for free with my 2 year/25,000 free maintenance package?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would stick with the 5000 mile interval and I doubt the dealer would have any problem following that. No advantage to the oil really over having a little quicker warm up time which would be more relevant in colder climates. Could give a slight increase in mileage though through the quicker warm up period.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Wonder if the older engines can adopt the new schedule also....no reason why not, as relevant pieces should be the same. That said, perhaps oil is not the best place to try and save a buck.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Sure oil is a good place to cut some corners. I just dumped the old cooking oil into the beast when I changed it. It now smells like a big french fry when I drive.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Problem with this light oil is that if you have sheer which is more likely to happen over time your surely giving up protection of the motor. All this was done for CAFE and mileage requirements. They changed the standard for the 2007 vehicles and started recommending 5w-20 in light of the new regulations with no change in the engine itself. In my opinion they are pushing the envelope with the lighter oils especially given a lot of the populations inability to do proper maintenance.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Problem with this light oil is that if you have sheer which is more likely to happen over time your surely giving up protection of the motor.
That's why I use a quality synthetic. Some of them have very high sheer strength in 0W-20 and 5W-20 weights - even after significant miles.

All this was done for CAFE and mileage requirements. They changed the standard for the 2007 vehicles and started recommending 5w-20 in light of the new regulations with no change in the engine itself.
For the 5.7 Toyota, the recommended oil has always been 0W or 5W-20.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
New regs came out in 2007 many vehicles were changed in the middle of the cycle to recommend 20weight oil. Included most of Toyota Lexus vehicles.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The updated maintenance guide I received showed that the 5.7L V8 did not qualify for the 10k mile oil changes.... only the 4.6L. I confirmed this with the dealer when I took mine in for the 5K service... might want to check it out.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
New MERC BENZES every 10,000 miles TOO, if I am not mistaken.

I will stick to every 5000 with MO 1 IN my Tundra.
13,000 miles actually. and since thats what MB says thats what we did...waited till the reminder light came on then changed it. mobil 1 euro spec (whatever that really means) 0w40.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was told the same thing when I took my 2009 in for the 10,000 mile maintenance on Friday. 2 different service techs told me it was 10,000 miles if you used the 0w synthetic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts