Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after being in two different rear-endings in the past 3 days ( thankfully not in the tundy!!) i have decided i need to scrap the reciever ball and go with something stronger....

planning on fabbing up a 5/16th thick square tube steel rear bumper protector that is mounted into the factory reciever hitch...

i have thought about this before, but now i'm really ready to put it into place.. i dont want the tundy taking any kind of rear spill because someones not paying attention...

would also give me a sweet place to mount some massive 100w reverse lights!

not sure yet if i'm going to totally have it where you have to take your tow ball off, or try to incorporate it so it can stay on while towing a load, either way i'm planning on having it line-x'd so that should look pretty sweet.

any questions or comments or just relative suggestions would be appreciated! thanks

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
The only problem I can think of would be, instead of the rear absorbing the blow the impact would be transfered forward.
A member on here just got rear ended and he ended up having major frame damage.
So which way to go?
Slow impacts yes it work, faster maybe not? who knows?

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
The only problem I can think of would be, instead of the rear absorbing the blow the impact would be transfered forward.
A member on here just got rear ended and he ended up having major frame damage.
So which way to go?
Slow impacts yes it work, faster maybe not? who knows?
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Your neck and back could take a heck of a beating.

I wonder what an insurance company would think of such a device.

The last time I was in Georgia I saw a chevy pick-up that had two buck seats facing backward in his hitch receiver. I have no idea what it was used for, but I saw him on I-75 doing about 70mph and I thought to myself "Sitting in those seats right now would be a heck of a wild ride".lol

Maybe you could make it into some sort of step, that way you can get up easier, and if the insurance company asks why you have a battering ram on the back of your truck you can just say you're lazy or something and need the step.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
slow impact was what i was hoping for, no impact is really what i would prefer, but if you're at a red light, and someone isnt paying attention, and accidentaly hits you at like 5-15 mph, it could really save your a$$ literally!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Accidents happen reguardless and your still going to get damage...

Also your Tundra won't stay new and pretty forever just have to face it. My '06 X-SP already have a cracked windshield that I have got to get replaced and someone backed into it at the grocery store. My rear is bent up a little on one side but not enough damage to make me fix it quite yet.

·
Registered
299 Posts
As a physical therapist, I have seen a lot of people worse off because they had the ball in place and transferred the impact to them, but protected their truck. So it's a matter of you or the truck- I'd take the truck, it can be fixed, you might not be able to be fixed if they hit you good enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts