Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rockauto has the following brake shoes listed for my truck (2002 Tundra V8 SR5):

- Monroe
- Wagner
- Beck-Arnley
- Raybestos

They range in price from $16.49 (Monroe, Bonded) all the way to the Wagner (Severe Duty) for $38.89.

Q: Is there a quality difference between labels? Recommendations?

Q: Does it matter whether the shoe is bonded or riveted?

Stupid Q: Do they come as a set of two (for each wheel)? :eek:

Q: Would you recommend getting the $9 kit and replacing all the springs and pins while you're at it?

Thanks all.

DEA

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Monroe is new in the brake world, it's mother company is Tenneco. They own Car X and Speedy Muffler King franchises. I would say they are a trusted brand.
Wagner and Raybestos are big name brands and are highly trusted.
Beck-Arnley commonly re-boxes other brands, though they usually have good quality parts you have no idea who's stuff they are using.
My choice would be in this order just based on my experience:
1) Raybestos
2) Wagner
3) Monroe
4) Beck-Arnley

Only uses the same type of shoes that the OEM uses. Toyota uses a bonded shoe so only use a bonded shoe.
Shoe always come in an axle set (4 shoes)
And yes It's is always recommended that you use new hardware. I have seen many old hold down springs break from fatigue. $9 is cheap insurance. A loose spring can cause very costly damage in a short time.
Mike

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monroe is new in the brake world, it's mother company is Tenneco. They own Car X and Speedy Muffler King franchises. I would say they are a trusted brand.
Wagner and Raybestos are big name brands and are highly trusted.
Beck-Arnley commonly re-boxes other brands, though they usually have good quality parts you have no idea who's stuff they are using.
My choice would be in this order just based on my experience:
1) Raybestos
2) Wagner
3) Monroe
4) Beck-Arnley

Only uses the same type of shoes that the OEM uses. Toyota uses a bonded shoe so only use a bonded shoe.
Shoe always come in an axle set (4 shoes)
And yes It's is always recommended that you use new hardware. I have seen many old hold down springs break from fatigue. $9 is cheap insurance. A loose spring can cause very costly damage in a short time.
Mike
Thanks Mike. I figured that if I'm going to take the drums apart to inspect/clean/adjust/relube, I might as well throw some new shoes on as well. And for $35 (Raybestos Professional Grade shoes) and $9 (Brake Spring & Pin kit) it's (really) cheap insurance.

I've owned the truck for a year and I only have around 43K on it, but I'm the second owner and haven't pulled the drums myself and actually checked the condition of the internals yet. I have good brake performance, but....

Thanks again.

Duffy

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Also check the wheel cylinders, simply pull the boot back slightly and look for signs of fluid. You should see done. You also don't want to see rust in there.
Check and lubricate the parking brake bellcrank levers that come through the backing plate. These are known to seize up.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts