Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm fixin to have my timing belt job done on my truck. She is about to brake 110,000 miles. I plan on using all oem parts (unless you guys have serious confidence in the kits) and changing out the tensioners, water pump, seals, etc... My question is, what else would ya'll recommend me doing while shes down? I'm on top of the tranny service, change my own oil, clean my air filter, you know the smaller common things. Just wondering if they're any other things should be on the list. :ts:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why do you suggest a fan clutch?

·
Registered
200 Posts
No need for a fan Clutch. To test with engine off spin fan if it spins more than 3 full rotation than the clutch is bad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you already have it removed to work on the timing belgt, why not put in a new one?

Fan Clutches don't last forever. When they go, they usually either lock up 100% or slip 100%.
If they lock up 100%, they can tear off the blades and send them through the hood. If they slip, they overheat the motor.

Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I highly doubt the fan blades will separate from the hub because of the fan design. Anything can happen though, most likely the biggest problem would be overheating. Replacing a working fan clutch simply because it off is no longer preventative maintenance; but overkill in my opinion.

·
Registered
124 Posts
call it what you want, but I would replace a a wearable part that's given itself 110,000 miles of service in a heartbeat.

I'd rather throw a little more money right now at replacing a cheap part that don't last forever (AND, it's off the darn truck!!!) than to put it back and wait until it goes out. It's one of those parts where, by the time you find out that you need to replace it, it has done its damage in a big way.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
call it what you want, but I would replace a a wearable part that's given itself 110,000 miles of service in a heartbeat.

I'd rather throw a little more money right now at replacing a cheap part that don't last forever (AND, it's off the darn truck!!!) than to put it back and wait until it goes out. It's one of those parts where, by the time you find out that you need to replace it, it has done its damage in a big way.
You don't need to replace an underperformaing fan clutch on the Gen-1s. They are rebuildable/relubable. There is a DIY on this process in the Gen-1 forum. For the cost of a couple of $8 tubes of silicon lubrication fluid, you're back in business.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
:focus: :D

i vote drive belt and tensioner.

fan clutch is pretty easy, just the 4 nuts for the fan and 4 bolts for the fan shroud. then again there is the upper rad hose...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts