Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2010 Texas Edition today with 305/50R20 tires. After driving around for about an hour, the tire pressure light came on. I went to check the pressure and realized that I did not ask the dealership what the tire pressure should be on these. All labeling and documentation on the truck only gives recommended tire pressure for the standard tire sizes. Anyone know what it should be?

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
There should be a max pressure on the sidewall of the tire. Take 5 psi off that and you should be good. :tu:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Or look on your divers door jam, there should be a a sticker that shows the recommended tire pressure. Owners manual also helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses! Yep, already checked the door jam and owner's manual. Plenty of info on factory tire sizes but no mention of the presumably distributor installed 305/50/R20's that came with the Texas Edition package. I will go with the max-5 psi recommendation until I hear back from the dealer. The tires are currently reading 25psi front / 28 psi rear. I will echo back my findings so others with the same problem will have a something to go by. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have found that the manufacturer's recommended pressures posted on the driver's door jam seem to be a bit on the low side. Especially if you're running larger wheels/lower profile tires. I've got my factory TRD 18's at 36psi front and 38psi rear, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I run 40 psi all around. Don't follow factory settings.... Your MPG will suffer

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run 40 psi all around. Don't follow factory settings.... Your MPG will suffer
And your tires! We ran my wife's Honda pilot at the recommended 32psi. The shoulders of the tires were completely worn before the centers. I'm running those higher now too.

We had a cold snap here last week and even though I'd raised the tire pressures on my truck, the tires were looking a bit low. Checked them an they were at 32psi. Raised them again and it is amazing how the truck feels like it accelerates easier and rolls easier. I guess think back to when you were a kid and rode a bike everywhere. The bike sure was easier to ride with more air in the tires!

I guess that is a good reminder to everyone, since winter is here, in most areas, make sure to check your tire pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking in the daylight this time, I found the 2nd label that talks to the the 305/50R20's. It specs 30psi front and 33 psi rear. The tires are marked at 50psi max. I set the tires to the 30/33 spec but now the low tire light will not reset per the instructions in the owner's manual. Time to get the dealer to figure it out and make it right.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I run 40 in mine, so far so good

·
Registered
819 Posts
guitarphred,

I know you probably feel the safer bet is to go with what Toyota recommends on the door jam but 30/33 is probably more for the 18in Steel wheels and not the larger 20's that you have. I would seriously take everyone's advice and run a higher PSI on your tires so that you can get max life and even wear out of your tires not to mention better MPG.

Trust us. Toyota got this one wrong on the 30/33 recommendation!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try running them back up to 40psi and see if the low pressure light will take the reset there. Thank for the continued support!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't forget the spare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Taking in everyone's inputs here plus from a local ASE mechanic (recommended 2 psi under max) I parked all 4 tires at 45 PSI. The tire pressure light still not willing to reset. Time to drop the spare to get to the valve on it. Better to learn how to pull the spare in the driveway instead of on the side of the road somewhere anyway.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Taking in everyone's inputs here plus from a local ASE mechanic (recommended 2 psi under max) I parked all 4 tires at 45 PSI. The tire pressure light still not willing to reset. Time to drop the spare to get to the valve on it. Better to learn how to pull the spare in the driveway instead of on the side of the road somewhere anyway.
There is no sensor in the spare, check the DIY sticky at the top of the page to find the write up for resetting the light. It is more than just holding the button down to reset it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spare was at 28psi instead of the door jam spec for that size spare of 33psi. I was able to do the gymnast thing to get on top of the spare to check and air it up without having to drop it first. Still no luck on the the light reset. I looked in the DIY sticky section but did not see any mention of more details on the tire light reset. Here's what the owners manual says:
1) Park the vehicle in a safe place and turn the engine switch off. While the vehicle is moving, initialization is not performed.
2) Adjust the tire inflation pressure to the specified cold inflation pressure level.
3) Turn the engine switch to the ON position
4) Push and hold the tire pressure warning reset switch until the tire pressure light blinks slowly 3 times. (this never happens even after holding down for 60 seconds)
5) Wait for several minutes with the engine switch ON, then turn the engine switch to the ACC or LOCK position.

My guess is that I either have a defective sensor or they did not sync up the new sensors when they installed the upgrade tires & wheels. At any rate, way too much time spent trying to fix a less than 48hr old vehicle with a full warranty.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I looked in there too (thought I had seen it in there), I printed it from somewhere on the site, hmmmm. You could always make a trip to the dealer and have them "show" you how to do it, make sure you have your tires set where you want them before you go and dont let them air down your tires before resetting. Are you sure you have it in the ON position when holding down the button, try holding down the button and then turning the key to ON.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts