Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Sequoia SR5

Sometimes the RED Brake Light turns on my dash. If I turn the car off and turn it back on it disappears.

Nothing else seems out of the ordinary, truck drives fine...

Anyone have any ideas or experience something similar?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Make sure the brake fluid is topped off. I had that problem for a while and topping off the brake fluid fixed it.

I'm on to the next common problem which is the red black light coming on and the traction control and other yellow lights coming on. Lots of threads on that topic but I think my master cylinder is going out. Might be the brake booster or the sensors in the master cylinder or something else. Not sure if 2003 has same ODB reading ports/standards as 2006 but if so, you need TIS (or something else) to get the brake codes as normal cheap bluetooth code readers can't get them. I bought a USB adapter on eBay and got TIS running on an old laptop and was able to see the brake error codes.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4
157 Posts
It's also easy to catch the parking brake with your boot when getting in. Just kicking it a notch or two will trip the brake light. If you kick it twice, it resets the brake making this problem "intermittent." I know I've caught mine with shoelaces a time or three myself!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes it helps if you flush the brake fluid. The level switch seems to be more sensitive when the fluid is old. Maybe because there's moisture in the fluid?
It's a good practice anyways. You just need a hand vacuum pump and a 10mm wrench. You don't even have to pull the wheels, though it makes it easier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sometimes it helps if you flush the brake fluid. The level switch seems to be more sensitive when the fluid is old. Maybe because there's moisture in the fluid?
It's a good practice anyways. You just need a hand vacuum pump and a 10mm wrench. You don't even have to pull the wheels, though it makes it easier.
I need to do this....any way you can post instructions in details?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts