Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hadn't seen this before in the times I've searched... but just throwing it out there for those who may be interested

I installed an LED light bar under the tail gate a while back to keep people from rear-ending me and it worked great for the most part. The thing that bothered me the most is that the turn signals on the truck were amber and the light bar was red... tres tacky! So I went on a search. $10 later, I have red rear turn signal bulbs...

VID00005.flv video by imtfox - Photobucket

it's scary how slow the incandescent bulbs are compared to the LEDs...

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
looks good, people should have no problem seeing you now.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
havent been a fan of those LED bars personally but they do get attention. they have one out now that has the normal parking and brake light functions, white reverse lights, and a "Scanning" blinker in amber that scans from inside out.... that would give u the amber back hahaha. personally, and no i have no facts to back it up, i think the amber turn signals are more noticeable and probally get more attention than red ones....

but that said, reading your title, i thought you had seen the same truck did did. yesterday, i saw a red tundra with the "red out" film on the lights, where they put the red over it to make the clear parts red as well. on a red truck it all blended in and actually looked pretty cool. sure u lose white backup lights and the turn signals will be red....sorry..i didnt pull a shatto and take a pic of it while drivng...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I didn't want to go the film route which is why I was looking for bulb options... I saw the LEDs but most of them were 10x as expensive as the bulbs I found. Heck, the shipping was more than the cost of the actual bulbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hadn't seen this before in the times I've searched... but just throwing it out there for those who may be interested

I installed an LED light bar under the tail gate a while back to keep people from rear-ending me and it worked great for the most part. The thing that bothered me the most is that the turn signals on the truck were amber and the light bar was red... tres tacky! So I went on a search. $10 later, I have red rear turn signal bulbs...

VID00005.flv video by imtfox - Photobucket

it's scary how slow the incandescent bulbs are compared to the LEDs...

Does yours look pink at night? I got some and they do.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
I have the Pacer F5 LED bar which has white reverse lights, yellow turn signals, and red brake lights. It works and looks great, and more importantly it significantly reduces that chance that I will be hit from behind by some moron that is not paying attention.

YouTube - wileetundra's Pacer F5 Light Bar

And if they fail to notice the LED bar then they will definitely notice the ear-splitting blast of the dual train horns which I mounted under my truck and connected to a 150 psi 7-gallon compressor setup. Each horn generates about 170 db and I can fire them both at once if desired - 9 total trumpets about 2' long each for a total combined weight of roughly 30 lbs of horn! One is angled forward and one is in back hidden under the rear bumper. It never fails to wake up the morons and they shy away from my truck rapidly. Also works well on deer, cats, jay walkers, would-be carjackers, and the occasional unsuspecting coworker when we go out to lunch... :) Got my first kit from HornBlasters which is an awesome supplier with a great forum, but I have since upgraded several times and built most of my new system from scratch. Well worth every penny.

HornBlasters Train Horns & Videos - Hillarious

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
IMTFOX, I have not had the chance to get in to the tail light of the truck. I have a 2010 so no need to till now. Do our 3157 blinker bulbs just plug straight in or are they the type you put in and make a half turn. Thanks for any info. I have the light bar in back also and sounds like a good idea to look at.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the Pacer F5 LED bar which has white reverse lights, yellow turn signals, and red brake lights. It works and looks great, and more importantly it significantly reduces that chance that I will be hit from behind by some moron that is not paying attention.

YouTube - wileetundra's Pacer F5 Light Bar

i have that same light bar,i think that was the second thing i added after the bed cover.and same here,i added to grab the person's behind me attention.i haven't seen anyone with the same one yet around me,all others have just the red bar.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMTFOX, I have not had the chance to get in to the tail light of the truck. I have a 2010 so no need to till now. Do our 3157 blinker bulbs just plug straight in or are they the type you put in and make a half turn. Thanks for any info. I have the light bar in back also and sounds like a good idea to look at.
The actual base for the lamp takes a 1/4 twist to remove it from the assembly, but the bulb itself plugs right in to the base.

I don't know about them looking pink at all... they look red to me but I'm a little color blind :laughing3d: I'll ask my wife what she thinks tonight. :ballchain:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Crappy cell phone pics... but they are in. If it stops raining today I'll install them over lunch. If it doesn't I'll install them after work today. Either way, I'll post a video of a side by side comparison...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got them in and at first I thought I was golden. They were a tight fit to get them in the holes in the lens but after I got them in there, I clicked on the hazard lights and perfect! You can see the LED on the right and the old incandescent on the left. The left one is slower to react and slower to end.

then the bad news... the first time I turned on the turn signals I get the rapid clicking like a bulb is out. I get out and take a look and sure enough, they are lighting up, but they are flashing about three times faster than normal... so now I'm a little pissed. So I took them inside to meter them, and they are no where close to the resistance of the standard bulbs I pulled out. So I guess it's back to the drawing board for me... mostly because the 3157R's I pulled out of it were starting to flake a little (and did look a little pink according to my wife). Now I have to contact v-leds and get these sent back.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The fast flash is due to the open circuit detection function in the flasher. The LEDs have such low current drain, the flasher thinks they are burned out bulbs (which take no current at all). The solution is either to add a power resistor to draw more current from the signal circuit such that the flasher thinks an incandescent bulb is back in place, or get another flasher with lowered burn out threshold currents.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts
Ya you have to have the below for LED turn signals to work correctly.

Load Resistors

I bought the mounting plates too..Those load resistors get hot as hell, so make sure to not mount them near wires, etc.

If you click on "accessories" on the link that you posted, it shows them. Why V-LED's is not more upfront and mention this on the page with he LED bulbs is beyond me. Happened to me too back in the day when I first ran these. They never answered back as to why they make one click on another link(F.A.Q.) to realize you do not have everything you need to run these.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts