Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull a trigger on a used 2009 Sequioa with 20,000 miles on it. It has the 4.7 engine. Any regrets? Anything to watch out for in that year?

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I personally wouldn't go with anything less than the 5.7.

I know the 4.7s are attractive because all the rental units are now hitting the used market for a perceived song, but that vehicle is extremely hefty and for utmost efficiency, I'd stick with the 5.7 (I had one).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would guess it pulls the same as a ford 5.4 or a nissan 5.6. nothing wrong with that if you really are getting it for a song.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would guess it pulls the same as a ford 5.4 or a nissan 5.6. nothing wrong with that if you really are getting it for a song.
Getting it for about 33k. So for 20,000 miles on it, absolutely mint condition, that is a GREAT deal... my only issue is the engine... I had the 4.7 in my 4runner and thought it was great.. this beast is 1500 pounds heavier...

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
That is not a good deal (IMO). I traded my "fully loaded" 2008 Sequoia SR5 with 4x4, 5.7L, JBL system, leather, spoiler, roof rack, fog lights, etc and 18,000 miles for ~$30,000. I paid ~$38,000 for it in April 2009, making it the least depreciating vehicle I've owned thus far.

They listed it on their website for $38,000 but will probably sell for $35,000. That is one MY older, but for resale value, more mileage in less time is worse than being a model year older. Plus the bigger motor, all the packages, etc. Mine should not be only $2k more than the one you are considering. I would keep looking, IMO.

Too bad you are not closer to NJ, we could go together since I know how much they have in the vehicle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is not a good deal (IMO). I traded my "fully loaded" 2008 Sequoia SR5 with 4x4, 5.7L, JBL system, leather, spoiler, roof rack, fog lights, etc and 18,000 miles for ~$30,000. I paid ~$38,000 for it in April 2009, making it the least depreciating vehicle I've owned thus far.

They listed it on their website for $38,000 but will probably sell for $35,000. That is one MY older, but for resale value, more mileage in less time is worse than being a model year older. Plus the bigger motor, all the packages, etc. Mine should not be only $2k more than the one you are considering. I would keep looking, IMO.

Too bad you are not closer to NJ, we could go together since I know how much they have in the vehicle.

Damn! I am so close!! You spoiled my fun... should I just buy the Tundra then? They are giving those away... 0% financing and it has the 5.7 -- my only issue, if you go shopping, etc, where do you put your groceries without them flying out? in the crew cab?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
My tundra has the 4.7 and right now I have 600 lbs in the bed and pulling over a ton and it does it effortlessly.
Drive the Sequoia and see how it feels to you

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tundra has the 4.7 and right now I have 600 lbs in the bed and pulling over a ton and it does it effortlessly.
Drive the Sequoia and see how it feels to you
I intend to. Sent my wife there today. She loves it. How much does your tundra weigh?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so the sequoia is 5900 or so... i will test drive and try to knock off a few more grand and maybe buy it...

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Damn! I am so close!! You spoiled my fun... should I just buy the Tundra then? They are giving those away... 0% financing and it has the 5.7 -- my only issue, if you go shopping, etc, where do you put your groceries without them flying out? in the crew cab?
The groceries kinda flew around in the back of the Sequoia too, and I had the cargo net!

The weathertech mats in the rear seat of the Tundra seem to do somewhat of a better job. I'd like a floor organizer...since I'd like to carry stuff inside the cab more often then I have people back there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if it helps, i just purchased from a dealer an black '08 limited with 26k miles on it. 20 inch alcoa rims, jbl, sunroof and spoiler for 36500. i also looked at a black '08 limited with 29k miles , jbl, spoiler for 35500. i really think if you are willing to drive you can find the same deal with a 5.7l. having said that i will tell you the 5.7 is like having the big block v8 in an old ford truck compared to the 302. the 302 was plenty. but the old big block was just nasty. i love this suv.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
5.7 all the way man! But if your not towing anything I think a 4.7 would be good enough.....try to get it for 29-30k. Doesn't hurt to haggle :)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
we did drive a 4.7 seq. didnt move on it since it was a rental and wasnt taken care of, but the market around here as third posted, is flooded with 4.7 ex rentals. it ran perfectly adequately in our eyes. my 4.7 in my 07 tundra does great. the 4.7 seq to us was comparatively as powerful (seat of the pants, which is really what matters anyway) to a 5.4 expedition or a 5.3 suburban we also test drove. i'd not shy away from it soley from the 4.7 aspect but i'd certainly reconsider if it was a fleet/rental truck....ive seen how i have driven rentals and boy i'd never have one haha.

also the 4.7 SR5s around here have been listing for less than 29k so.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
also the 4.7 SR5s around here have been listing for less than 29k so.....

Agreed. A ex-rental 09 w/ the 4.7 and arpound 20000mi on the clock should not go for more than 29K, and preferably, closer to 27K.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went to the dealer, test drove it and decided against it. Gonna wait for some used Escalade to hit the slightly used car market.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Not a bad idea!

I'm not personally partial to GM products, and I also don't like to buy products that become "dated" quickly (luxury cars and SUVs). But, I think you will get more bang for your buck with the 'slade! Good luck :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts