Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 2016 Crewmax Ltd with 38 Gal fuel tank. Low fuel illuminates when puter sez 30-36 miles remain (til burnout?). Yet, at most I have been able to pump is 29.5 gallons of gas. Is computer miscalculating or do I have 8-9 gal of unusable fuel. Or does my 38 gal tank only really hold 32-33 gal of useable fuel because of sensors, plumbing et al? Or, has ToyCo mislead me with 38 Gal gas tank? Insight from you smart folks please! Thanks in advance.

· Registered
4,207 Posts
Cant say with the bigger tanks but this has been discussed before on here with the smaller tanks. I think one guy let it run dry and got something like 70 miles after the light came on till it actually ran out. That same principal probably applies to yours. The light will come on and at some point you will see the readout say 0 miles to empty and you still ahve a long way to go. Why Toyota actually designed it that way we'll probably never know but it is what it is.
Someone will surely chime in saying how bad it is to let it run dry but pretty sure the pump sits in sort of a pocket and never really runs without being immersed in fuel.
Use the Google search box and type in something like distance to empty to see other threads on this.
Here's one example:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-sequoia/104796-dte-distance-to-empty-experiences/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.