·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
British Steel...Great album, too!

·
NO MA'AM
2,244 Posts
Wow...sooo many from which to choose, where do I begin? I guess Led Zep III because it had the sliding wheel designed (like many of their album covers) by Hipgnosis Hipgnosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and a big +1 to Moving Pictures (Rush) because of the many interpretations.

Iron Maiden is hard to ignore as well. Pink Floyd...pick an album. Eagles - Hotel California. Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality. Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers. Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited. The Who - Tommy (studio, not the soundtrack). Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Can't remember the album title, and too lazy to look it up.

Man....choosing my favorite is like choosing a favorite child. I love them all in their own special way.

Cheers!

~A

·
NO MA'AM
2,244 Posts
CRAP! I forgot The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper (a revolutionary album, the cover notwithstanding). And the "White Album" is brilliant in it's simplicity. Abbey Road anyone?

~A

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Isn't it ironic that what is considered "progress" is actually butchering quality. CDs sounded worse than vinyl, but still not too bad. Digital music is absolutely horrid, especially the 128K data rates, which are the most popular.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have to agree. I read something quite awhile back about vinyl being heard as a continuous wave by the ear and the brain, which is more pleasing, while digital is heard as a bunch of staccato bursts that the brain recognizes. Whether true or not I dont know

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The best way to know is to try it yourself, turntable versus CD and/or digital, side by side. Several examples to get a good consensus. I always found the turntable had smoother midrange, better stereo imaging. CD tends to have harsh midrange, more "shriek" when turned up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
CRAP! I forgot The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper (a revolutionary album, the cover notwithstanding). And the "White Album" is brilliant in it's simplicity. Abbey Road anyone?

~A
Simplicity:

Spinal Tap "This is Spinal Tap"

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,613 Posts
I've been able to hang onto to a lot of albums from my dad and the ones I got hooked on growing up. The Band is probably my #1 favorite of all time. It's not that exciting of a cover, but it's a great example of great things coming in plain wrappers. :D

Here's a few others in my collection...

Kansas

Cream

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Debbie Harry

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

21 - 35 of 35 Posts