Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new here. I just purchased a 2010 Tundra and had the dealer throw in a remote engine start in on the deal (wasn't on the truck from the factory). The salesperson of course said it would only take about 30 mins to an hour to install. We took in yesterday, and waited 2 hrs, then the parts/service guy finally came and said the harness wasn't matching up, that they would need a new part shipped. So we decided to leave it overnight as they said they would have it installed by today. As we were leaving another service guy said they would have to call customer service in the morning, so see what was wrong. So i call today, and the guy says they just got hold of customer service at 2:00 p.m. and it would take the rest of today and tomorrow morning to finish installing and made it sound like they have to rewire a bunch of stuff as there were issues with the flex fuel system on the truck. Flex fuel?? what does that do with starting the engine?

How hard can it be to install? They are making it sound like they are rewireing the whole truck or something. I know they are probalby super busy with recall vehicles, but you would think it wouldn't take 2 days to install a remote start.

Anyone else have one installed by a dealer after purchase? How long should it take. If I would have known this I would have skipped the deal and found a truck with it already installed from factory.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Factory installed system shouldn't be that big of a deal to install.

On the other hand, an aftermarket starter in a Tundra is no walk in the park. I did one a while back and it's almost as difficult as doing one on a modern diesel truck - it took me all day to finish. At minimum you need a key bypass module in addition to the system itself and possibly other stuff depending on what other options you want to install.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not too sure about the factory (may come prewired), but I have a Viper 5190 in both my Tundra and Sequoia. It works great and I'd highly recommend it. The Tunrda took about 5 hrs to install (no factory alarm) and the Sequoia took about a day to install as the installer had to circumvent the factory alarm.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm not too sure about the factory (may come prewired), but I have a Viper 5190 in both my Tundra and Sequoia. It works great and I'd highly recommend it. The Tunrda took about 5 hrs to install (no factory alarm) and the Sequoia took about a day to install as the installer had to circumvent the factory alarm.
(I'd be willing to bet you mean the Viper 5901)

This is the same alarm-remote start unit I have.
I opted to have it installed at the shop I got it from.
The install manual looks like its for the space shuttle, and hunting though the snakes of wires is no fun.

This remote start works really cool. If you have an iphone it will call you to let you know your truck is being messed with and you can remote start-lock/unlock your vehicle anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If the dealer can't install it after a couple of visits and several hours of your time, they just don't know what they are doing. If it isn't factory pre-wired, they should have been able to tell you that in the first 30 minutes of having the car.

On the other hand, the 5901 ROCKS !!!!!! It's a great system you can build from and it's two-way pager gives you real-time status on your alarm. Lots of modules offering lots of options for you....... but it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
140 Posts
PLEASE do yourself a favor and cancel the install of that starter.. its complete garbage. I know you said you had it thrown in.. those things aren't cheap (I had to pay about $600 for mine when I bought my truck), but maybe you can get something else instead... Let me just tell you.. It works by pressing the lock button on your keyfob 2 times, then holding it down a third time.. Then when you get to your truck, its locked (since that's how you had to remote start it), you hit the unlock button on the fob, and that turns the truck off!!

That's just the beginning of the annoyance.. The range is GOD AWFUL. I'm talking, 20-30 ft.. NO JOKE. If anything is in the way, even a darn window.. forget it. The thing is basically useless, as you have to be so close to your truck to start it (you get no confirmation that its started, other than the parking lights on the truck go on), you might as well just hop inside and start it the normal way. My experience is not a-typcial.. most people that have the factory start will tell you all the same things.

Long story short, I got them to take out the factory remote start and give me a full refund, thankfully.. the service manager was appalled at how bad the thing worked, and when he called Toyota about it, they told him "yeah, that's the way it works, and we can't fix it".. which is what prompted to give me a full refund without hassle. I had a Clifford 50.7x (similar to vipers) installed for about $350.. it has a small LCD screen remote, works literally a half mile away with no problems, every time, and will give me confirmation that its actually started.. locked/unlocked, etc.. Also has an alarm, and will notify me if the truck has gotten bumped or broken into.

Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got the truck back this morning and seems to work fine. I didn't want to pay out of pocket for an aftermarket starter, thats why I had them do it as a final condition of the sale, after we had agreed on price. The service guy installing it seemed like he knew what he was doing and was honest with me, it was just the other parts/accessories guy that I called to talk to that had no idea what he was talking about and kept giving me a line of B.S.. Turns out the harness/part that they recieved didn't come with the instructions addendum and correct wiring schematic, so they had to contact the company that manufactures the part to get the update.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just installed mine today, it me about an hour and i have not installed any alarms period in over a year. i installed the autopage rs-1000 oled. it is a 2-way remote start car alarm with a one mile range. i removed it from my Tacoma when i sold it a year ago, or i would have upgraded to the viper 5901 and do plan on still doing so. on the alarm i had to hook up five wires to the ignition harness one wire to the battery power, one wire to the ignition, one wire to the ignition 2, one wire to accessory, and one wire to the starter. i had to connect the neutral ground, and the brake wire to disable to remote start. i purchased the iDatalink ads-al-ca off eBay for around 60.00 bucks, after i programmed it off of iDatalink's website (must be done at a shop unless you buy the cable) i connected the module to a total of 5 wires in the vehicle, one to power, two to the immobilizer and two to the obdII, connected the module to the alarm via the data link cable programmed it and voila. remote start. no problems no head ache nothing just nice warm seats and heated car during the winter. or spring soon i got a late start. check out idatalink's website ADS-AL CA

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got myself a midget. On very hot or cold days, I send the midget out to start the truck and either turn on the heat or the a/c. Works out great. Didn't have to tear into the wiring on a new truck, and he eats very little....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got myself a midget. On very hot or cold days, I send the midget out to start the truck and either turn on the heat or the a/c. Works out great. Didn't have to tear into the wiring on a new truck, and he eats very little....

c'mon you could just buy the midget a cell phone, let him live in your truck and you just call him. at least that way he doesn't have to walk that far. hell i think he could probally live in the center console pretty comfortably.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i used to use a midget but i upgraded to a hot blond supermodel... :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts