Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had future shop install an AutoStart Command start on my 03' Limited. The starter works great but I could have sworn I told them too hook up the keyless entry as well. The truck came with factory keyless entry but my remote got squished between my boot and pavement some years ago (dont ask) So Instead of paying them $100 bucks and an hour of my Saturday I am going to fix this problem. But..... The remote start module has 2 outputs: Lock and Unlock. The Truck also has 2 Corresponding wires: Lock and Unlock. The instructions say to install a relay between the both the truck and the module for lock and unlock. (2 seperate relays) Do I need to do this or can I simply tap into the door lock/unlock wires and attach the module wires to them (it cant be that easy) I have no problem with either way, one is simply more work than the other. Also, it has separate instructions for a negitive polarity system and positive. Which is mine? Thanks guys sorry for the long post.

·
2,445 Posts
I installed an Alarm/RS in my 06. You are right, on many systems you can't just hook up the wires. Since your instructions actually state to use relays and diodes then your unit does not have an on-board relay for door lock/unlock.

I opted for an extra control module specifically because I thought it would be easier, and for installation it was. I was able to hook up the module to those lock and unlock wires from the Alarm/RS brain then install one wire to the "data" wire to my Tundra. What I don't like is that I have been experiencing some minor glitches and I am wondering if it is that module. I may go the more traditional route with the relays and diodes. An actual diagram of how to install the relays and diodes is helpful. I did a lot of research when I did mine. I can't seem to find the diagram for the relay/diodes setup

12v.com is a good source of info. Also, Bulldog security has some wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I press the lock/unlock buttons on the remote while in the truck, I can hear relays pulling in and out click click click. having two relays in one circuit is not a problem but if its not necessary then its just more work for me (and i do enough of that already) Really, a relay is just a switch operated by a separate switch, in the wiring diagram, there are no diodes so it just leads me to believe that I can just jumper the wires, if I do this will I harm the starter module? Future shop kid said it would void their warrenty either way if I attempted it so I am not sure where to start. I tried to upload the picture I got from the autostart website, if you can look at it tell me what you think. Thanks

·
2,445 Posts
I will see about that. My question is why would you attempt this if it voids the warranty? Wouldn't that be worth the $100.00 or are you upset with the installers about the lack of communication? I know I might be.

I know the relay is just an extra step in the switching process... usually it is a lower amperage trigger powering a larger amperage circuit... but they can be used for so much more. The reason to add diodes is to cover the possibility of feedback into the vehicle circuitry, as explained at 12v they are like a one way valve for electricity. While they may not be totally necessary almost all of the wiring diagrams that I ran across during my research showed relays with the diodes installed.

I will see what I can find.

·
2,445 Posts
I couldn't get anything from AutoStarts website because I would need a SN.

I attached a tech document for my truck. It will not be the same for yours. I think you may still have to do a little searching but it will give you an idea of what you may be looking at. The Double Cabs are different than the Access Cabs so wiring colors and routing will most likely differ. I am only uploading this as a reference to give you an idea. Don't use the layout in this diagram unless you confirm that it will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it done in about 20 min. Just hooked up both relays into the lock and unlock wires coming from the drivers door and wired the other end of the relays (obvously a little more complicated than that) and its good to go. Seems to have no problems at all but i have only been running the setup since yesterday afternoon. Im glad I didnt take it back to future shop that would have been a waste of money. I know it will void their warrenty but if I want to be crooked about it I can take it all apart if something goes wrong. Either way very happy, thanks for all your help guys. Have a good week

1 - 6 of 6 Posts