Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on surprising my brother with a remote starter for his birthday. He has an '08 Tundra. I've gone to a few stores and found out I'll need to buy a bypass as well as the starter, but one store told me that unless I add the power lock feature to the new remote, his old remote may not work meaning the key will be the only way to open the door. Is this true or would I be okay just buying the starter and bypass? Is there anything else I should be aware of with a remote starter?

I'm almost completely clueless and am hoping to keep this a surprise, so hopefully you guys can help :).

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Seems like the install shop will charge you for adding every feature. I have not heard of a shop that doesn't include the door locks as part of the basic install. You will need the bypass module. I suggest you shop around a little more and get the total cost to you. Also which brand/ models are you looking at?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That particular store quoted a price of around $300 higher then the other two, which is why I was skeptical. The other two stores never mentioned the keyless entry not working because of a starter.

The three stores I went to carried different brands, but this is the one I was leaning towards from the start Nustart 2-Way Remote Car Starter (NUS-3502) - In Store Only - Best Buy Canada. It sounds like it comes with the keyless entry in it, is that right? Best Buy quoted a price of around $475 (canadian) and that included the bypass, install, and taxes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
It does say stuff was optional. The remote can do the doors, the question is will they wire that in as part of the basic install.
I'd flat out ask them if they include that and if not how much they charge for it. since they have to lock the doors anyways, it should be as simple as hooking up the unlock wire.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can confirm a few things for you because I am a installer myself. The bypass they are referring to is for the transponder key. This is required to do a remote start on these vehicles. As far as the doorlocks, when the truck is running, the factory remote does not work. You can confirm this by getting in the truck and starting the engine, now press the buttons on the factory remote. You will find they don't work. If you have them add doorlocks to the new remotes, they will work when the truck is running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts